AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so apparently when NXE launched it changed the port that needs to be open to access the marketplace and that port is most unfortunately blocked on my campus's wired network. So I'm thinking if I jump over to the wireless network it will alleviate that problem. So I'm gonna need a wireless receiver that works with the 360, anyone have any recommendations? I considered picking up a Linksys WRT54G and flashing it with Tomato but I'd prefer an adapter that isn't that big and doesn't require it's own power supply. However I can do that for $45 so that's my price ceiling.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
they are probably blocking the wireless port as well..(if they are blocking ports, it's probably due to a policy that's across their network)

Is there a way to request them to open a port for this purpose? I am sure your not the only one affected.

I also don't think there is such a wireless router that doesn't require it's own power.... they all do

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou /forum/post/15534879

they are probably blocking the wireless port as well..(if they are blocking ports, it's probably due to a policy that's across their network)

Is there a way to request them to open a port for this purpose? I am sure your not the only one affected.

I also don't think there is such a wireless router that doesn't require it's own power.... they all do

I don't want a router, I want a receiver. Like the Official 360 one from MS only not stupidly overpriced. They're certainly not blocking marketplace on purpose they just didn't have that port open and when the NXE launched and switched marketplace access to that port it was blocked. The wireless network is completely separate from the wired one as well so I'm just kind of running on the hope that it will be open. The problem has been brought to their attention but they're pretty slow to fix things of this matter and there's a chance it won't get fixed this semester.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have one 360 hooked up using the linksys that chiliDog linked and it works great...plus it was a snap to set up.

I also have 2 360's that use THIS with no issues.

All of those were bought for ~$30 each through ebay or sales.

Both of those use their own power supply though and I don't think you will find anything that doesn't...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts