AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone who reads my post, IM really new at this and IM trying to get all the info I can so's not to make a mistake. With the help of all of you Im sure I will be satisfied. Here is my question, I just bought a Mits. WT46809 HDTV upgradeable TV, now I want to enjoythe features of HDTV, I know I need to get a satellite and receiver but this is were I get confused. IM not sure what I should get, there are so many to choose from. I here the goods and the bad about a lot of them, I was interested in getting the Mits. SR-HD500 but it is pretty pricey. Do I really need something like that to get HDTV? A friend of mine said just pick up a Dish and a receiver and call Direct TV and your in, but it doesn't sound right to me. I bought my TV at PC Richard & sons and the very same set I bought they had a floor model that was hooked up to a Dish Network Satellite, the receiver was JVC. The picture was absolutely amazing, nothing I have ever seen before. I asked the salesman how can I get that quality picture and he said subscribe to Dish Net. and you can have it, but the JVC receiver was 600.00. OK now I was all a mess and still have no idea what to do. SO if anyone can be of help into which system would soot me I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks for reading my post.

Frankie

------------------

Frankie

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The easiest way is to get a new subcriber price on a complete system, I don't know if Dish still has the $250 rebate.

This system comes with everything you need plus pro installation:
http://www.dishdepot.com/Cart/descri...1424.205.73.62

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Glenn_L, Taron1, thanks for reply's. Now what if I just called up say for argument sake DirectTV themselves and take advantage of those promo's they have every so often, for i.e 24.00 for installation, receiver, dish, and a basic package etc. Now would I get HDTV this way as well or would I have to get one of those receiver/dish HDTV combos, like the Mits. SR-HD500. IM sorry if I sound satellite illiterate, I just want to do this once and do it right. With the help from people like you ( Glenn_L & Taron1 )and the rest in this forum IM sure I will find something, so keep the advise coming, lord knows I need it : )

Frankie

------------------

Frankie

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If you want HDTV, you need an HDTV receiver. You have several options:

DirecTv: Gives you HBO-HD and HDnet (a primarily sports oriented all HD channel).

Their are several options here: Mits SR-HD500, Sony SAT-HD100, RCA DTC-100 (the cheapest that I have seen). DirecTv has various deals for new subscribers, check with www.minidishes.tv as they seem to be very cheap.

You can sometimes get DTC-100's from Circuit City and Best Buy as open box units for less.

Dish Network: You get HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, CBS-HD, 24/7 Pay-per-view and a 24/7 demo channel. For Dish you need a Dish 6000 receiver. I'd check with Dish Depot as they are usually pretty cheap.

Cable: If you are in Cablevision or Time Warner Cable Territory, you may be able to get HD with a receiver from them. Cablevision carries HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, CBS-DT, ABC-DT the Madison Square Garden Network and Fox Sport NY, depending on where you are. Don't know what TWC has.

OTA: Up until last week, you could have received all the Digital local stations but with the end of the WTC, I am not sure when they will be back on the air. That would get you ABC, CBS, and PBS.

Dish Network is cheaper overall and has more HD channels. If you are a big sports buff, and are interested in paying for things like every NFL game (Sunday Ticket), or every MLB game (MLB Extra Innings), then DirecTv is the one for you. Dish only offers the College Football and Basketball packages. If you are a movie buff, or a fan of CBS, Dish may be the one to go with.

I don't know anything about the pricing on the cable system in your area, you need to call them.

Good luck.

/carmi

·
Registered
99 Posts
The key is to make sure the receiver you get is in fact a HD receiver. The ones you get for free with installation are not going to be able to receive HD.

To make it even more confusing for you, you can also get the Samsung SIR-T150 which is for OTA reception only. There is no satellite receiver in this one if you just want to get local signals off your antenna. There are many people here that seem happy with it, including myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.