AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a new projector and screen for a customer and he wants to push the envelope. He wants a 2.39:1 about 110" wide w/ a 10' maximum throw range. The Panamorph lens will do the trick but recommends a curved screen at this throw range. The screen gain is one issue, the projector has a rated 800 lumens so I would like at least 1.8 gain. Da-Lite does not market their HP in a curved frame maybe more a function of the tension needed for the substrate. If that's the reason I might be able to make a custom frame but would prefer a ready made solution. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You can get customized curved screens from Da-Lite with the HP material. Just contact them.

I would also recommend you to use Aussie-Bobs calculator to calculate the needed curvature of the screen (you can do a search for it or look at my results below). At 10 ft the pincushion will be significant and most (if not all?) standard screens have too little curvature to counteract this. Da-Lite will manufacture to your specifications though.

May I ask which projector he will be using? A true 800 lumens would take him a long way even on a 110'' wide screen. Also remember that the curvature will focus the light toward the viewer and increase the gain of normal angular reflective screens. I don't think the HP would be necessary, even though it is a good choice (if you can handle the seating and projector position to take advantage if it).

(The pincushion will be about 1'' and you would need a curved screen with a radius of 26.3 ft or a depth of 4.7'' to counteract it.)

BR

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Drexler,

Thanks for the input, the pj is the Sony VPL VW70 and the 800 lumens is the manufacturers spec sooo..... I did speak with Rueben at SMX and they have a 40' arc which is a depth of about 5" + or - and I liked what they had to say about their screens but the gain was on the low side especially considering the 50% or so loss of brightness over the first few hundred hours of usage. The fellow who I spoke w/ at Da-Lite didn't say anything about customizing for the HP material but he seemed like perhaps he was relatively new, I'll try them again tomorrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In regards to the seating there is really no off axis viewing and the positioning of the pj, viewer and screen would probably result in about a gain of 2. This is a real rough guestimate based on a couple of setups I've done and using some numbers from Da-Lite which, IIRC, with a 15 degree angle between pj and viewer was about 1.8. Anyway it is one of my favorite materials for larger screen sizes for a pretty reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
You might want to check prismasonic's curved screens. They have a higher gain/silver screen material.

The great thing about their screens are the fact you can change out the material because you attach it using staples. So switching projectors doesn't mean you have to switch screens.

The bad thing about their screens is the fact you attach the material via staples. I say this somewhat seriously....I know Alan Gouger (AVS owner) has a prismasonic screen, as well as I do. He said it took some experimentation, but has been able to handily change out the material and get a perfect tension (meaning no puckers or waves) between the material and the frame. I on the other hand have had some problems doing so. Eventually, I got there, but not without a lot of cursing and sweating.
But, I don't have the patience of Job, nor the handiman skills of Bob Vila. Just a man with two left hands and a short fuse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks rbooster, I will do some more research re. their screens. I had looked at their lenses but they need at least 1.5 throw which means that I need 11' 7" or so whereas the Panamorph goes down to 1.4 which should just squeeze
in but they do require a curved screen and I need to check the calculator mentioned by Drexler, thanks again, by Aussie-Bob, special thanks there, to determine the necessary curvature. Also I didn't see if their screen is Angular or Retro reflective can you enlighten me? I have worked w/ the HP fabric before and like the presentation and awhile back used a Vutec Silverstar but didn't really like it very much, to me the black level was somewhat washed out, how do you think the Prismasonics screen compares? The Da-Lite solution is not w/out its drawbacks specifically the lace and grommet frame which would require additional work to make it look nice, why they don't use a more aesthetically pleasing solution is kind of questionable. Perhaps the answer is to combine the HP material w/ a Prismasonics frame although the customer is very set on 2.4:1 and the curvature may be at issue as well.

This installation is definitely challenging me on many levels and I'm very appreciative of the help from the folks here!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think the Prismasonic silver screen is angular reflective.

Regarding Da-Lite:

I was previously in contact with them concerning a curved screen. They offered to make one according to my specifications with snap-on's based on the Da-snap frame. I also got a very reasonable price, however, the italian distributer added so much extra cost (the price more than doubled!) that it would cost me an arm and a leg, and in the end also the funds for the anamorphic lens (without which the curved screen would have been kinda pointless...). I mean, how can they add 450 euros for the shipping (about $640) when Carada ships the same size screen to the same location for $160?!?
Hold a gun to my head, then it at least makes sense.

So, In the end I decided to not go that route, at least for now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts