AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He somewhat knows what he's doing, but not in any depth. I'd like to be able to give him a suggestion of an affordable HTPC that he can use as a full computer, stream movies over NetFlix to his projector, etc. I highly doubt he'll be downloading 1080p movies from newsgroups or anything so I don't think he'll need a powerhouse to decode 1080p mkvs. What would you guys suggest?

Should I tell him to just pick up a cheap bargain basement PC somehwere and then to buy a good video card online?

Or are there some nice HTPCs for sale online somewhere that aren't over 2 grand?

·
Registered
461 Posts
why not take a look at the "build an hd htpc" thread that's stickied.. or if he needs something prebuilt how about the Acer x1200 or dell studio slim

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPChris /forum/post/15549759

He somewhat knows what he's doing, but not in any depth. I'd like to be able to give him a suggestion of an affordable HTPC that he can use as a full computer, stream movies over NetFlix to his projector, etc. I highly doubt he'll be downloading 1080p movies from newsgroups or anything so I don't think he'll need a powerhouse to decode 1080p mkvs. What would you guys suggest?

Should I tell him to just pick up a cheap bargain basement PC somehwere and then to buy a good video card online?

Or are there some nice HTPCs for sale online somewhere that aren't over 2 grand?

If you want a cheap prebuilt, check out the HP refurbs on Ubid.com. I picked up a m9200t with quad core CPU, tv tuner, remote, Nvidia 8600GT video card for less that $400 about 8 months ago. Had to wipe it to get all the preinstalled crap off of it, but its been flawless ever since.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd advise you start with something pretty basic. Most of the major brands would have something that would work. HTPC's can be major pains. Just about everyone here has struggled with their systems, and we have some idea what we're doing. I spend at least some time every week helping my father with his computer, so expect to be tech support.

If you want a system with a lot of capabilities expect a lot of problems. Even the very expensive pre-built systems have their issues. If he doesn't need to do much with it then get something cheap. For watching netflix streaming just about anything would work. Just be aware that that process has it headaches as well.

To tell you the truth I'd just get a simple system and one of the many blu-ray players that can handle netflix and hook that up to the projector instead. It'll just work in a way that a HTPC won't. I speak from experience having built my own systems and having parents with computers. Trust me if you don't enjoy problem solving and lots of tinkering your better of with the blu-ray player.

good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts