AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my bedroom i have a spectre 32 inch. it has 1 hdmi, 1 component, and 1 coaxial for sound.

i am not using an external surround sound system with this. just using tv speakers for sound.

i had my direct tv hd receiver via hdmi and i could get video and dolby digital sound with the hdmi cable.

today i decided to connect a bluray player to the tv. hooked the blu ray player via hdmi cable.

so i hooked up the direct tv hd receiver via component and coaxial for sound.

i got video but no sound from the direct tv via component and coaxial. i had to use the red and white wires to get sound, but i dont get dolby digital.

maybe im misunderstanding something but since i did get dolby digital sound via hdmi with direct tv hd receiver, why not via component and coaxial?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 /forum/post/20764468

in my bedroom i have a spectre 32 inch. it has 1 hdmi, 1 component, and 1 coaxial for sound.

i am not using an external surround sound system with this. just using tv speakers for sound.

i had my direct tv hd receiver via hdmi and i could get video and dolby digital sound with the hdmi cable.

today i decided to connect a bluray player to the tv. hooked the blu ray player via hdmi cable.

so i hooked up the direct tv hd receiver via component and coaxial for sound.

i got video but no sound from the direct tv via component and coaxial. i had to use the red and white wires to get sound, but i dont get dolby digital.

maybe im misunderstanding something but since i did get dolby digital sound via hdmi with direct tv hd receiver, why not via component and coaxial?

The coaxial output is almost certainly an output, not an input - you'd use it to connect to an external decoder and pass audio through (not that it would work correctly, as whatever device is connected will be set to stereo).

You aren't missing a thing with the analog connection though, the vast overwhelming majority of broadcast content is still stereo (and you have stereo speakers). The STB will decode AC-3 to analog just fine internally, which is what your TV was previously doing, and it will downmix the sparse 5.1 content to stereo as well (again, what was previously happening). I would leave the connections as-is; you'll get HDCP for the Blu-ray player, and still get HD OTA service from the STB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.