AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks to Karnis's guide and some other asistance, my HTPC is up and running. So now i just have a few kinks to work out. My current settings on powerstrip are as follows:

PowerStrip timing parameters:

960x540=960,104,48,136,540,7,1,15,42075,1

Generic timing details for 960x540:

HFP=104 HSW=48 HBP=136 kHz=34 VFP=7 VSW=1 VBP=15 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:

"960x540" 42.075 960 1064 1112 1248 540 547 548 563 +hsync +vsync

My equipment is as follows:

pioneer elite 53' rear projection hdtv telivision (pro-530hd)

DVI connection to my:

32MB all-in-wonder graphics card with DVI output in my:

pentium 2 400mhz

256 ram

8g. hd

but this isn't fitting too well. Vertically I have a good inch or more of overscan to the point where i can't see the top layer of destop icons on my computer. Horizontal is perfect though.

So in order to get rid of the the overscan, i do as follows on the guide and adjust the front/back porches... but when i click the \\/ /\\ botton to shrink the screen down vertically, it only moves the screen like the \\/ buttons on the left, and it creates a bend in the screen that makes the picture look "misaligned". If anyone can give me advice on how to correct this and find an acuratley fitting resolution it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Jon Young

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Try my timings for 856x480p @ 540p timings instead for a better fitting desktop.

You must have missed this part about vertical adjustments:

Do NOT use this method for vertical adjustments as it will change your vertical line total and your set could lose sync after a click or two.

and

You don't have any range of vertical sizing adjustment, only positioning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... i changed to your suggested resolution and it fits perfectly on my tv. Is there anyway i can use a higher resolution though? I would really like to take advantage of the dvi connection and get more screen area. thanks for your help, and sorry for my ignorance

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
You are limited to 540 progressive scan lines by the nature of your set. You would have to interlace for higher resolutions. That works fine for playing back media, but for desktop apps, yuck. Try adjusting the display properties & schemes for smaller text sizes, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.