Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

since my Philips Q50at died on me i am now trying to decide between the following two players.

Denon 1600 & Mitsubishi DD-8040

I have read allot of posts about the Denon but would like some more info about the Mitsubishi DD-8040 from anyone thats owns one. I know that it is fairly new and can't find to much info on the net about it. I read in another post that the picture quality between the two are close. One other thing, does it play DVD - R disks, i saw in the manual that it say -RW but not -R, i assume that it is yes. I have a Tweeter store right down the road from me and may stop by and pick one up in the next day or so.

Thank you

·
Registered
491 Posts
Depends of course on what kind of display you

have. Most direct-view tubes and plasma produce

superb images with just about any good P/S player.

Different story with large projection displays, since

every negative emanating from the source is

magnified so many times over.

So, if larger projection(front or rear) is what you

have, then I would not bother with ANY 480 machine -

no matter how good it is. They just don't compare

with the new hi-def upcon' machines from Bravo(D-1),

Samsung(HD-931) and Momitsu(V880), which produce

a virtual hi-definition image at either 720p or 1080i

from current-generation DVDs. Word of caution, though,

as these new DVD decoders/boards do NOT work with

all displays, so you've got to check with the manufacturers

to see about any incompatability. The first two require

a DVI input on your display, the V880 does the upcon'

trick via either DVI or component.

Good luck!

Milt R. Smith
[email protected]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks mrsmith,

the dvd player will serve double duty use. I have a 36'' sony wega XBR and also will use it on a Panasonic PT-L200U lcd projector.

if i were to go with a dvd player with DVI could i use a dvi adapter and use a vga cable connected to my projector since it dosent have a dvi port? and if so will i be able to output 720p to it?

Now i have something else to research about hehe.

thanks

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I got a Mitsubishi DD-8040 from a Tweeter store last week for $250, they have a 30day "no questions asked" return policy so I am evaulating it now. I'd say its the same as the new Denon 910 or 1200 except it has a few extra setup features - like the ability to windowbox a 4:3 video title for a 16:9 display (which I use) - the Denons lack that ability. So I'd say its a better buy than the new Denons. However these models all apparently have the Faroudja CSS on and that causes a color flicker on the top and/or bottom edge of a saturated color area - I can see it on color test patterns, but it may not be noticeable on most regular DVD material. Also the picture quality is a little soft due to the high frequency response rolling off about 3.5db at 5Mhz (I measured it on a scope with the AVIA DVD multiburst test pattern). The Denon DVD-1600 and the older discontinued Panasonic RP82,Xp30,Xp50 models however have a flat frequency response for a sharper more detailed image and no color flicker issue. I find I can somewhat compensate for the image by turning up the sharpness control on the TV but that might introduce some other minor artifacts in the picture. I'd say if you can the Denon DVD-1600 new from Crutchfield (they appear to be back in stock at least for the moment - so you would have to hurry) with a discount coupon to get it just under $300 that would be a good buy. Myself I managed to get a Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $250, so if its good I will return the Mitsubishi DD-8040, but if you only want a new player its a good bargain too - at least it is in stores relatively easy to get and return right now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by splatee
thanks mrsmith,

the dvd player will serve double duty use. I have a 36'' sony wega XBR and also will use it on a Panasonic PT-L200U lcd projector.

if i were to go with a dvd player with DVI could i use a dvi adapter and use a vga cable connected to my projector since it dosent have a dvi port? and if so will i be able to output 720p to it?

Now i have something else to research about hehe.

thanks
In theory I believe that is the way they're

dsigned to work. However, a recent experience

at a local home theater store with a Samsung

HD931 and an InFocus projector resulted in

nothing but SNOW. So, best to contact the

manufacturer(s) and get the answer(s) from

the real source(s) with respect to the

projector issue. As to your XBR, you'll get

an even better virtual hi-def image(if that's

possible) from one of these new machines,

what with the XBR being so good on just about