AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so right off the bat I'll admit I'm out of my element in trying to select speakers and could use a little help as I don't know where to start. So here's my situation. I've had Cambridge Soundworks Movie Works 5.1 fronts and surrounds and "Center Stage" center for years. I replaced a dead CSW Sub with an AV123 MFW-15 a while ago. The receiver I have is a Yamaha RXV-595.

We redecorated our family room and as luck would have it it gives me an excuse to upgrade my older Panasonic Plasma with something bigger/better. At the same time I'd like to upgrade the speaker system as music always sounded like crap with this system, although for theater, it was decent (at least for me).

The goal here is to significantly improve our music listening experience while maintaining or improving our home theater experience. So what I'd like to do is upgrade to a decent pair of Floor standing speakers while possibly maintaining my center and surrounds, but I'm not at all opposed to upgrading them either. The surrounds I had never did much for me one way or the other but I was always happy with the Center. I love the MFW-15 even though 8 months after I bought it that dude was indicted. So long as it stays healthy I'll keep it.

Budget wise I could spend what ever I want but I'm thinking I would like to keep the cost of the upgrade between $1000-$1500 if possible. $1000 or under if I'm talking just the pair of floor standing fronts, ~$1500 if I upgrade other components

Any suggestions as to a decent pair of floor standing speakers I might want to consider? Are there other options besides floor standing? Am I wasting my time trying to retain any of the existing speakers I have?

Also, size matters for the floor standing speakers, I'd like to keep them south of 40" tall.

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the two best "bang for the buck" speaker systems available currently are the Polk Monitor II series speakers from www.newegg.com and the Infinity Primus speaker system from www.crutchfield.com

A typical Polk 5.0 system to use with your current sub would be Polk Monitor 60 or 70 towers, a CS2 center, and Monitor 30 surrounds

The similar Infinity Primus system would be P362 towers, a PC350 center, and P152 surrounds.

You might also google for "Infinity Classia" speakers currently on sale from various sources.

Whatever speakers you get, please make sure the "front 3" are from the same manufacturer and series - they should match to create a unified front soundfield.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob206 /forum/post/19522625

Ok, so right off the bat I'll admit I'm out of my element in trying to select speakers and could use a little help as I don't know where to start. So here's my situation. I've had Cambridge Soundworks Movie Works 5.1 fronts and surrounds and "Center Stage" center for years. I replaced a dead CSW Sub with an AV123 MFW-15 a while ago. The receiver I have is a Yamaha RXV-595.

We redecorated our family room and as luck would have it it gives me an excuse to upgrade my older Panasonic Plasma with something bigger/better. At the same time I'd like to upgrade the speaker system as music always sounded like crap with this system, although for theater, it was decent (at least for me).

The goal here is to significantly improve our music listening experience while maintaining or improving our home theater experience. So what I'd like to do is upgrade to a decent pair of Floor standing speakers while possibly maintaining my center and surrounds, but I'm not at all opposed to upgrading them either. The surrounds I had never did much for me one way or the other but I was always happy with the Center. I love the MFW-15 even though 8 months after I bought it that dude was indicted. So long as it stays healthy I'll keep it.

Budget wise I could spend what ever I want but I'm thinking I would like to keep the cost of the upgrade between $1000-$1500 if possible. $1000 or under if I'm talking just the pair of floor standing fronts, ~$1500 if I upgrade other components

Any suggestions as to a decent pair of floor standing speakers I might want to consider? Are there other options besides floor standing? Am I wasting my time trying to retain any of the existing speakers I have?

Also, size matters for the floor standing speakers, I'd like to keep them south of 40" tall.

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

If you are not opposed to buying used, something like the Paradigms listed here would be a significant improvement

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you have the room for rear ported towers the the OneCall deal on Boston Acoustics's discontinued VR3 and matched center. That's $1600 worth of speakers for cheap. Keep in mind that any rear ported speaker needs 18-24" behind it and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall. Then I'd call Hsu Research and have them size you a sub.

If you decide to go with bookshelves you should be able to get a set of recertified Ascend Sierra-1s.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, unfortunately the wife got involved in the decision and she's having a problem with the size of some towers, particularly the height. I've researched some more looking for a smaller package and the KEF IQ50s with the IQ60C center seem like they fit the budget and the aesthetics of our room. For now I'll recycle what I have for surrounds, but may upgrade those as well.

Are these a reasonable choice for both HT and Music?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob206 /forum/post/19550256

So, unfortunately the wife got involved in the decision and she's having a problem with the size of some towers, particularly the height. I've researched some more looking for a smaller package and the KEF IQ50s with the IQ60C center seem like they fit the budget and the aesthetics of our room. For now I'll recycle what I have for surrounds, but may upgrade those as well.

The KEF's are pretty good. I'd recommend Monitor Audio RX6 and PSB Image T5 as well.

I like the MA's the best of all the speakers mentioned thus far, but speakers are a subjective thing, also I think they are the best looking by far.

Ron

·
Registered
19,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob206 /forum/post/19550256

KEF will be fine.

And www.saturdayaudio.com for a look at PSB and Monitor Audio

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19550283

The KEF's are pretty good. I'd recommend Monitor Audio RX6 and PSB Image T5 as well.

I like the MA's the best of all the speakers mentioned thus far, but speakers are a subjective thing, also I think they are the best looking by far.

Ron

Too tall. Marching orders were to keep them south of 35" (originally was 40"). The MAs do look terrific though.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob206 /forum/post/19550326

Too tall. Marching orders were to keep them south of 35" (originally was 40"). The MAs do look terrific though.

Will that put the tweeters at ear level in listening position? If not, what about Monitor style speakers on stands? I am partial to era D5's at their close-out pricing but there are many good options.

Ron

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19550374

Will that put the tweeters at ear level in listening position? If not, what about Monitor style speakers on stands? I am partial to era D5's at their close-out pricing but there are many good options.

Ron

Close. I know towers 36-42" would be in a better position but this is the hand I was dealt. If I could find Monitors w/stands that would help the Music issue I had with my previous setup I'd consider it. Same height rule would apply though.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've always been a huge Klispch fan, I just picked up the Klispch Icon VF-36's they are 45" which is a bit bigger than your limit, but they have the smaller VF-35's too. They are on sale at best buy this weekend for $236.00 a piece, usually $474.00 a piece. If your looking for something a little higher end, take a look at Klipsch's reference series, they are supposed to be pretty damn good from what I've seen on here.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob206 /forum/post/19550439

Close. I know towers 36-42" would be in a better position but this is the hand I was dealt. If I could find Monitors w/stands that would help the Music issue I had with my previous setup I'd consider it. Same height rule would apply though.

If you're unable to audition you might as well go with the KEF's. They are good speakers and meet your requirements, also pretty good deals for them here: http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...rch_query=iq50

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts