Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to projection HT technology and am currently finishing my basement. I have a Sharp XG-NV4SU projector at the office that we use for computer presentations but it seems pretty well suited for my HT.

Some questions:

1. It only has 600 lumens - is that enough?

2. Can I use SVGA to drive the projector with my computer and get good performance?

Also, has anyone used this projector and are there any drawbacks using a computer presentation projector for my HT?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't know about THIS projector, but in general my experience with data projectors is that they don't do so well with motion. Try an action flick and see if you like it. If not, you'll probably need to shell out on a consumer unit that's designed for the application. I tried a data-grade one at home for a weekend and we liked the huge image but hated the smearing. It wasn't a new unit, though, so perhaps newer ones are better. (This is circa May 1999, and the projector - an InFocus unit don't know which one - was probably already two years old by then.)

As for 600 lumens, it certainly can be just fine. A lot of the CRT projectors don't put out even this much light - many are in the 400-500 lumens range. I have a Sharp DW100U which is 1000 lumens, but I'm losing a whole bunch of it due to running it mostly in 4:3 mode most of the time. Still, we're able to watch movies happily, even during the day time--even when we have some light leakage from other rooms. Granted I'm using a 1.8 gain screen. If you're custom finishing your room you can eliminate the light spill and should easily be able to use 600 lumens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.