AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played with X-10 for many years, and am pretty disgusted that I did a remodel a few years that relied somewhat on X-10 working. Needless to say, it's unreliable and I should do something about it.

Anyway, I want to try Insteon out using the bundle that includes a KeypadLinc, 2 SwitchLincs and 2 SignalLincs. If these work well, I'll figure out how to upgrade the rest of my home (just lighting, really), along with scheduled control.

The question is, is there software that helps out a lot in setting up the KeypadLinc to control the SwitchLincs and existing X-10 devices? Pushing buttons and counting LED blinks doesn't sound like much fun, though I actually have no idea how this kind of thing is done with Insteon. I don't want to make a big software/PC-interface investment while trying Insteon out, but if there's a package that could also schedule X-10 events without having the PC on, then that would at least be usable with my current X-10 devices even if I don't go whole-hog for Insteon.

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
621 Posts
i replaced every switch in my house (4000 sq house) with insteon switches and plug adapters and am very happy with the results - i used the "tap" method to configure everything - I've had the system for about a year and am still waiting for 2 new items. 1) a remote that can do insteon and 2) motion detectors. All and all i've spent about $3000 for all the items and have had 3 go out on me. Smarthome replaced them with in a few days of returning them. I was going to use X10 until i was told about the relay problems to different parts of the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.