AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished building my first HTPC. I am connecting to the TV through VGA, because the 2 HDMI on my TV are already in use, and I have to use spdif audio for my receiver anyway. When starting it up, it had the Windows 7 default video driver, and it showed up. I updated the driver, and when I restarted, I got a "mode not supported" on the screen. I rolled the driver back, and have video again, but I need to have the right drivers for everything to work as it is supposed to.

My TV is a Samsung HL-S5679W led DLP. The manual says it supports 1024 x 768, 1152 x 864,1280 x 960, 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 1200, and 1920 x 1200RB, in PC mode. It also has a note that reads: You cannot connect this

TV to a PC via HDMI/DVI. Not sure why this is.

So I guess my questions are, why would installing the correct ATI driver kill my video? Is it going to a default that my TV doesn't support? How do I fix this? Also, of the supported resolutions, which is best for an HTPC? It will be used for mostly 720p and 1080i TV programming, and some blu-ray, and a 1080p native TV.

Here are my specs for my build:

Accent HT-400 ATX case

Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H

AMD Phenom 9650 quad

OCZ DDR2-1066 2x1gb

Windows 7 Ultimate

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Try it thru HDMI and see what happens. I have my HTPC via HDMI to my Samsung Plasma just fine in 1080p (I do optical to the AVR). However, if I tell the Samsung that it's a PC connected on that HDMI input then I lose a lot of ability to control the picture (like picture size and the like). If I just leave it at "Generic PVR" then all controls come back. I think Samsungs can be kind of "funky" when it comes to PCs and it's best to just use HDMI and not tell the TV it's a PC.

Every model is different of course but it would be a quick test for you. Unplug one of your HDMI devices and use the same cable to plug in your HTPC and see what's up.

HOWEVER, if your manual actually has a warning to not connect a PC via HDMI then the first thing I'd suggest is researching your exact TV model here on AVS Forums in the display area and search or ask this same question and see how others have connected their PC.

If in the end it's fine via HDMI then you'll need to get an HDMI switcher or upgrade your AVR to accept HDMI inputs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts