AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best card that will fit in a half height Antec ISK 300 case. I am replacing the power supply with a fortron 270 80+ so that won't be an issue I just need something that will actually fit in this case.

Their are a few GT 430s I see that should fit but if anyone has any experience with this case I'd be greatly appreciative.

This will mainly be using Windows XBMC and some light gaming. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll add it to my bookmarks, but why do most people on the XBMC forum recommend strictly nvidia. I'm not opposed the ATI at all I have a 5770 in my desktop that I am more than pleased with but it seems generally people stay away from ATI with htpcs.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
For a little extra I recommend the Palit NE5S4500F0601.

This is the only half-height version of the GTS 450, as far as I know.

The GTS 450 is twice as powerful as the 430 - important if you think you might toy with the idea of doing some gaming with your HTPC, whether in 3D or 2D.

Of course, apart from full support of BD 3D dual stream decoding, it also does full HD audio bitstreaming of TruHD and DTS HD MA over its HDMI 1.4 interface.

I'm psyched for when mine arrives this week. Just found it on NewEgg tonight. Just $129, a little more than the 430, but I think totally worth it.

Personally, I would agree that you should stick with NVidia for an HTPC...

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by updawg86 /forum/post/19638292

I would like a more powerful card like that but I have only a single slot half height space available in an Antec ISK case.

Bummer - Don't think you'll find this card in single slot AND low profile...

It's good to have a little extra space available.

I feel I will end up with TWO of these GTS 450 cards in SLI, using my existing case and board.

...unless a low profile GTX 460 arrives to marker - which does not seem likely.

If you only have a low profile single slot available, its going to be hard to beat motherboard integrated GPU levels.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantv1ral /forum/post/19638629

5550 would be the best, xbmc recommends nvidia because xbmc live is on linux which nvidia has the better drivers for, well nvidia has better drivers in general, but amd/ati is just bad under linux

+1, AMD doesn't play nice with Linux.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by updawg86 /forum/post/19639652

So 5550 if I don't care about running XBMC on linux and GT 430 if I do? Or is there more to look into it then that?

5550 with XBMC on Win7 works very well, that is what I use

If you plan on gaming a 5570 might be better.

I have my Passive 5550 in the ISK310. This enclosure is not very well

designed in some aspects, I tried a few low profile cards and some

will not seat securely due to the mounting bracket being too high

up.

There is also a latch mechanism which holds the card down and will

interfere with the HDMI connector.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by updawg86
I've looked at benchmark results and the gt 430 and the 5570 and it looks like the 5570 is the better card by a long shot as seen here in this article. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3973/n...force-gt-430/4

Would their be any reason not to go with the 5570 in my case?
They will both bitstream HD audio of course, and decode regular Blurays just fine.

They decision comes down to whether you are buying strictly on price, or whether you are actually trying to get the most performance you can fit into a half-height slot.

If it's about performance, and you want to play games OR possibly 3D Bluray, then again I'd actually put the GTS 450 in. The 450 is at 5770 level performance.

But with two SLI 450 cards, you beat performance of the GTS 460 and twice as fast as 5770. The only low profile 5770 options I've seen do not include Crossfire support.

But again, if it's just about price, then that's different. I do think that NVidia cards have given me less trouble over the years for video tho.

EDIT: Bah humbug! Although SLI is listed on the box of the GTS 450 low profile Palit card, SLI is not actually supported by the card. Bummer! Still, is a nice solution for a low profile setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately none of the recommendations will work in my setup. This is a single slot half height slot, the two best cards that will fit are a 5570 and a GT 430 so that is what I have to decide between.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues /forum/post/19654980

This is the fanless lowprofile card I have for my case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-342-_-Product

I guess I like the card, but I've been having all sorts of problems with CCC, I'm about ready to rip it out and go back to my i3, and to hell with 24p movies.

I have the 5550 version of that card. The first one had a lot of problems

and died after a week. The replacement is still going strong after 8 months,

with no hardware issues.

If you are using the ISK3xx, it may be a case of a poorly seated card.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia /forum/post/19655989

I have the 5550 version of that card. The first one had a lot of problems

and died after a week. The replacement is still going strong after 8 months,

with no hardware issues.

If you are using the ISK3xx, it may be a case of a poorly seated card.

My problem (i think) is software related. CCC never remembers my settings, no matter what I do. The Card itself works great, which is why I haven't taken it out yet, even with all of the problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts