AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old HTPC has grown quite long in the tooth and sat collecting dust long enough. My new media room will have a projector and will require a dedicated media player.

I plan on playing 4K rips and maybe streaming 4k content.

I've been a long time Kodi user, but I'm open to Plex.

Looking to handle HDR content ie tonemapping as needed.

Is an HTPC still warranted or can a shield tv get by these days? I also have a 4K Amazon fire "pendant" laying around..

·
Registered
13,366 Posts
My old HTPC has grown quite long in the tooth and sat collecting dust long enough. My new media room will have a projector and will require a dedicated media player.

I plan on playing 4K rips and maybe streaming 4k content.

I've been a long time Kodi user, but I'm open to Plex.

Looking to handle HDR content ie tonemapping as needed.

Is an HTPC still warranted or can a shield tv get by these days? I also have a 4K Amazon fire "pendant" laying around..
Hi, Kodi + MPC-HC + MadVR is a great combo for a projector. The latest build of MadVR has excellent dynamic tone mapping. it's much better vs. the static tone mapping of UHD players like the Panasonic UB420 or 820.

You will need some horsepower though from the graphics card, I run the Nvidia 1080Ti and would look for the 2070 or above if getting new today. check out the MadVR threads in this forum for more details.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
No media player can do any tone mapping that I know of, HTPC if that's the goal. Panasonic UHD players can but I wouldn't but much into expecting the streaming apps getting regular updates. If you get a projector with decent tone mapping like JVC NX series both the FireTV and Shield can run KODI where the ATV and Roku can't. HDfury has a tone mapping box but haven't seen any reviews for it, actually haven't looked because it's expensive. I use HTPC w/MadVR in my theater and 3 FireTV boxes (1 first generation and 2 second generation) on my remaining TV's. I do pull one of the FireTV's off a lesser used TV for the theater because the streaming apps are better then what the HTPC has but are lacking ATMOS support for Netflix if that one thing could be remedied I would use the FireTV for all streaming.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. my projector does support HDR, Epson 5040UB, but I am aware of it's limitations with brightness and the fact that it cannot handle 4K 60FPS HDR. I was really hoping that Plex on Shield did tone mapping since I just saw the other day that Plex Media player or whatever it's called on Windows does this.

I suppose that again pushes me into an HTPC, Plex could be the lazy starting path and if I feel so inclined to tweak tweak tweak I could go MadVR..

Hmm big difference in price here though, GPU is ~= Shield alone, nevermind any of the other bits I'll need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Kodi + MPC-HC + MadVR is a great combo for a projector. The latest build of MadVR has excellent dynamic tone mapping. it's much better vs. the static tone mapping of UHD players like the Panasonic UB420 or 820.

You will need some horsepower though from the graphics card, I run the Nvidia 1080Ti and would look for the 2070 or above if getting new today. check out the MadVR threads in this forum for more details.
Hi, I have a similar issue with brightness on my middle-grade projector, and this is really good to know for MPC-HC. Is there a way to use dynamic tone mapping with, say, Netflix? Or maybe Steam? Maybe there's a system-wide program which could apply dynamic tone mapping program to everything on the second screen (i.e., my projector?). I'm using Windows 10.

Thank you! (And thanks for your patience if it's an ignorant question; I'm just getting into projectors.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts