AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am looking for a nas device that will host my movies, pictures and music. Off course connected via Gigabit connection. I am looking for already built one either with disks or disk less What do you guys recommened? I want to be able to play movies to my UN60F7100 tv or a sony tv that is connected via wifi or ethernet or browse music and pictures on the network.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Any current NAS should work fine, it really comes down to budget. NAS's typically start (with redundancy) at two bays and go up from there. I would consider Synology and QNap, they have many different models at varying prices. I would not suggest you consider streaming movies over wifi as they is usually buffering which results in the stream pausing intermittently during play, wired connections do not usually suffer from this problem.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been looking for the same. I use WDTV LIVE to stream movies. Right now I have a 3gig USB drive hooked up to one but I'd like a NAS too. One that will give me my own personal cloud to access outside my home. I like what the WD EX4 does but I've read in various posts that it's extremely slow. I will be interested to see what people recommend.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller89  /t/1523337/need-a-nas-device-for-streaming-movies#post_24504210

I am looking for a nas device that will host my movies, pictures and music. Off course connected via Gigabit connection. I am looking for already built one either with disks or disk less What do you guys recommened? I want to be able to play movies to my UN60F7100 tv or a sony tv that is connected via wifi or ethernet or browse music and pictures on the network.

As already mentioned this is really a budget question more than anything. I believe that pretty much any NAS will work for what you want. Make sure you look for one that can grow with you as well, maybe start out with a few drives then go up to a RAID Setup.

My personal experience has only been with the Drobo, The Netgear ReadyNAS Home Made RAID / NAS and Synology. Out of those I would pick the Synology Models over the others hands down every single time. They are much, much better performing (which may not be an issue for some) and have many options including expandability with their "+" Models that allow you to add an expansion chassis. The company really seems to want to keep growing their product base.

That said Synology NAS Units are much more than just a NAS, they are really considered a "Server" That you can load applications on. Now this may or may not be something that people use but it is something to consider as well.

I would like to also back up the Wired over Wireless for movies. If you don't have the ability to run a cable you might want to look in to a Powerline Adapter Kit which is a much better option than wireless. That is not saying that you won't have any luck with wireless but there are so many factors that can interfere with the signal at any given time that dependability can be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd  /t/1523337/need-a-nas-device-for-streaming-movies#post_24504589

I've been looking for the same. I use WDTV LIVE to stream movies. Right now I have a 3gig USB drive hooked up to one but I'd like a NAS too. One that will give me my own personal cloud to access outside my home. I like what the WD EX4 does but I've read in various posts that it's extremely slow. I will be interested to see what people recommend.
I have a WD MyCloud at home, I admit it is easy to set up and get running but as you mentioned it is SLOW, I mean painfully slow. I personally don't consider it a NAS but if you want to get technical I suppose it is so I could add it to my list above. It is sitting there looking pretty / doing nothing. I should have returned it but got it as a gift so now its a paperweight.

Check out the Synology Line of NAS units, they just released a new version of their Operating System that has Cloud Functionality built right in to it. I believe this will work throughout their product line from the Single Bay units all the way up to their multi / expandable units as well.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There are several things to consider before making a wise purchase.

NAS is an excellent store for movie, music and photo media. As others mentioned, there are brands such as Synology and QNAP that are quite popular. A Nas can be a single drive on up to a many drive (RAID'd) set of drives plus some light applications.

There are various hard drives out there which of course range in total volume for storage such as 1 tb on up to 4 tb. There are various speeds of drives and drive types including consumer NAS designated drives such as WD's Red drives and Seagate's NV series of drives. If you opt for 4 tb drives, do realize that both initializing the drives and doing a swap out of a bad drive (and reconstituting) can take a considerable amount of time.

Also to consider are the use of the right applications that often come with commercially produced NAS units that include DLNA services, sometimes iTunes related shares and photo libraries as well as media encoders for playback.

I don't think WiFi is a good means to an end unless the files are rather small (music and medium to small jpeg files do okay) but higher bitrate movies often suffer stuttering, macro blocking and pauses in many instances. The newer AC designated WiFi properly set up and in ideal set up will handle these films (if your devices don't have AC ability, you can run two routers in bride mode and let the routers do the heavy lifting of connectivity).

Give a look at the smallnetbuilder site (and others) for information on various NAS units. Consider how much space you will need for your present library of files and how fast it might grow. Nothing worse than buying a few drives only to outgrow them in months.

Last - for movie, music and photo only use of NAS doesn't require the fastest drives. Even 5400 rpm drives should be sufficient in a RAID system. The only drawback to these slower drives that run cooler, require often less energy is spin up time is just a little bit longer than 7200 rpm counterparts. Whatever you get, make sure you investigate a good UPS (batter back up) for your NAS to both protect it and in case of power outage allow the unit to shut down gracefully. - After all, it would be a pity to lose all those files you have on your NAS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd  /t/1523337/need-a-nas-device-for-streaming-movies#post_24506263

There are several things to consider before making a wise purchase.

NAS is an excellent store for movie, music and photo media. As others mentioned, there are brands such as Synology and QNAP that are quite popular. A Nas can be a single drive on up to a many drive (RAID'd) set of drives plus some light applications.

There are various hard drives out there which of course range in total volume for storage such as 1 tb on up to 4 tb. There are various speeds of drives and drive types including consumer NAS designated drives such as WD's Red drives and Seagate's NV series of drives. If you opt for 4 tb drives, do realize that both initializing the drives and doing a swap out of a bad drive (and reconstituting) can take a considerable amount of time.

Also to consider are the use of the right applications that often come with commercially produced NAS units that include DLNA services, sometimes iTunes related shares and photo libraries as well as media encoders for playback.

I don't think WiFi is a good means to an end unless the files are rather small (music and medium to small jpeg files do okay) but higher bitrate movies often suffer stuttering, macro blocking and pauses in many instances. The newer AC designated WiFi properly set up and in ideal set up will handle these films (if your devices don't have AC ability, you can run two routers in bride mode and let the routers do the heavy lifting of connectivity).

Give a look at the smallnetbuilder site (and others) for information on various NAS units. Consider how much space you will need for your present library of files and how fast it might grow. Nothing worse than buying a few drives only to outgrow them in months.

Last - for movie, music and photo only use of NAS doesn't require the fastest drives. Even 5400 rpm drives should be sufficient in a RAID system. The only drawback to these slower drives that run cooler, require often less energy is spin up time is just a little bit longer than 7200 rpm counterparts. Whatever you get, make sure you investigate a good UPS (batter back up) for your NAS to both protect it and in case of power outage allow the unit to shut down gracefully. - After all, it would be a pity to lose all those files you have on your NAS.
Thanks again for a replying guys, Here is what i am looking at please tell me which one would be the best.

[URL='http://www.amazon.com/gp/red...TF8&qid=1395413058&sr=8-8&keywords=DS212[/url ]

[URL='http://www.amazon.com/gp/red...TF8&qid=1395413058&sr=8-2&keywords=DS212[/url ]

[URL='http://www.amazon.com/gp/red...j/dp/B00CRB9CK4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/url ]

·
Registered
2 Posts

What I learned in my partially failed, long running experiment setting up my home network / entertainment system for the future:

1- Do not run any Streaming Video from Internet or from local network on WiFi.

2- If you have an A/V Receiver (AVR) in your setup, make sure every input is wired to it.

3- If you have an AVR in your system, make sure AVR is "The Boss"!

If you have an AVR you probably have surround speakers as well, the only route to your surround speakers is through your AVR. So, do not let any component skip AVR and connect directly to your TV.

That means you should plan on playing your (AVR Supported) audio from your DLNA Server through your AVR, NOT Through the TVs SmartHub or equivalent. For Video content you should get a NAS Box with built in player or a separate player Connected To Your AVR. You can play local video through SmartHub but you may encounter sound issues if the content has built in surround sound and you DO Want to hear the built in sound when you play the video file.

3- Keep your equipment in your TV Room unless you really really have to have them at a remote location.

4- If you are going to do any kind of {SIGNAL}_Over_CATx, You ARE going to encounter problems!

Especially with HDMI Over CAT5/6/7 (CATx), you will encounter many issues from hiding the power adaptors, HDMI extenders behind the TV to getting the Audio Return Channel, ARC to work.

5- Always plan with Expandability and Control in mind. Plan HOW You are going to control various components simultaneously. Plan and purchase considering future needs and expansion options.

On the NAS Issue, I would consider my lifestyle and try to estimate how much storage space it would demand. In my case, I have some 20+ years of camcorder and camera data in my basement storage that are waiting to be digitalized and stored in a NAS. I generate 32+GB of new data every week or so.... You can see where this is going.... If you want to live in your home for 20 years, you should be buying a NAS device that can handle 60+ Terrabytes of data.... Your lifestyle would probably demand much less than that and that should tell you not to overpay for something you will never fully utilize. General advice is, if you are serious about NAS, get something with at least 4 Bays and Always buy the highest possible capacity drives for your open bays! Unless the budget is a major constraint, Get a NAS Box with built in Uninterruptable Power Supply (or an UPC for your NAS in a seperate box). Also the NAS box should have the most robust RAID options available. At this end, I do not see any major competition to Synology for Advanced Home User.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts