AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im replacing my Panansonic Viera VT60 plasma. Room we have now is bigger and really want a 75" (ish). Room isnt too dark and isnt' too light stays somewhat in the middle all day. Ideally budget under 2k..Id prefer something in the $1500 range, but I also recognize Im in no mans land with timing of 2019 vs release of 2020s. Im looking for bang for the buck!

Things that are important:
1. Sports: I watch a fair amount of fast moving, lighted stuff..IE racing, hockey, football, etc. I noticed juddering and motion blur all the time on other peoples tv and it drives me nuts. Further I really don't like any "soap opera effect"

2. Need at least same contrast and black levels as plasma. I dont want to feel like im downgrading
3. I don't really care about uniformity and I willing to sacrifice a bit on that.
4. Dont need anythign special with regards to apps/smart tv...we primarily use the 4k firestick

I think thats all! Thanks for the help and opinions

I should add Im ok waiting a few months if theres better options to wait for.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggest against refurbished, and TVs more conducive to panel lottery (DSE, banding, screen uniformity and durability issues).

If you can stretch your budget a few hun, Sony X900F 75", VA panel, Native Refresh Rate 120 Hz, currently around $1898.

What about an open box from best buy Song X950G for 1870? I cant find any X900F

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
FWIW 2019 Sony X950G 75" has X-Wide Angle viewing which reduces contrast some. It has Sony's best Ultimate Processor, excellent color accuracy, and works better with Dolby Vision HDR. Good to verify that you get the same warranty as new.

2018 Sony X900F 75" (Sony Extreme Processor, some report less performance ability for Dolby Vision HDR) is listed as available at B&H Photo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW 2019 Sony X950G 75" has X-Wide Angle viewing which reduces contrast some. It has Sony's best Ultimate Processor, excellent color accuracy, and works better with Dolby Vision HDR. Good to verify that you get the same warranty as new.

2018 Sony X900F 75" (Sony Extreme Processor, some report less performance ability for Dolby Vision HDR) is listed as available at B&H Photo.

Good luck.

So if I bump it up to $2k, I found an open box Samsung Q900. Is that crazy? I feel like I’m floating in the middle of what I should buy if I’m spending around 2k for a 75”. So might as well go crazy and buy a cheapy 8k? I guess a better argument would be, for 2k is there a better new 75” tv vs a used q900?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
So if I bump it up to $2k, I found an open box Samsung Q900. Is that crazy? I feel like I’m floating in the middle of what I should buy if I’m spending around 2k for a 75”. So might as well go crazy and buy a cheapy 8k? I guess a better argument would be, for 2k is there a better new 75” tv vs a used q900?
This 2019's currently just under $5800 at B&H Photo. Good shape, warranty, good return policy, full HDMI 2.1 upgrade done--One Connect Box? May be a find.

Pro: 480 dimming zones. Con: DSE, Ultra Viewing Angle reducing contrast, low pre-calibration rtings score may point to pro-calibration.

rtings test review:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q900-q900r-8k-qled

Vincent Teoh test review:

https://youtu.be/LtkGM7H6Kq8?t=3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To update this, I wound up buying and returning a open box Samsung q900r. Samsung wouldn’t replace the panel that was total junk So now here is what I’m considering And going to something sub $1500 ish
1. Open box Sony 900f for $1500
2. New TcL 8series for sale at bestbuy for $1500
3. Open box Samsung Q70R for $1100

Any thoughts or preferences?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts