AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got new speakers a couple weeks ago. JBL s38II. I'm pretty sure my cheap yamaha rx-v363 receiver is holding them back. I am also building a sub soon, so I will need some sort of sub out. Speakers are rated for 175w. With the supposed 100 they are getting, it gets very very loud. I mainly listen to music, but do watch some movies and tv shows.

I was thinking a 2 channel amp and then a preamp would be best. Mostly everything is coming from my computer via optical, besides some vinyl. I could probably connect it another way too. I have a really nice sound card also, but I could always sell it if a preamp would be better. I also like listening to headphones sometimes too. My budget as of right now, is around $700, plus maybe $300 for selling my sound card and current receiver. Also, I doubt I will go 5.1 or anything. I don't have enough room for it anyways. So what do you think I should get? Currently looking at a emotiva upa-2 for an amp and parasound 2100 or emotiva usp-1 for preamp. Those preamps also have phono preamps in them so I could sell mine and add another $80 or so to the budget. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the rating of 175 watts on the speakers is a manufacturers "maximum" rating, not a required source rating. Rarely, very rarely will you drive a speaker anywhere near that limit unless you are into frequent ear bleeds.

your older receiver should drive the JBL's just fine for normal listening levels. What gauge speaker wire are you using ?

I doubt very seriously if you "need" an external amp - and your receiver does not have pre-outs to drive an external amp anyway.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruler /forum/post/19564949

So I got new speakers a couple weeks ago. JBL s38II. I'm pretty sure my cheap yamaha rx-v363 receiver is holding them back.

Elaborate on what you mean by "holding them back". What do you feel is lacking ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't sound as good as it probably could. I think a different amp or something would sound a lot better. Anyways, I just got back from the audio store, and he recommended that I get an integrated amp, and it should have some output on it for the sub, but then I would need something for a low pass filter or whatever. The emotivas are still looking very enticing though. and they do have some sort of trial thing right?

·
Registered
247 Posts
"Does sound as good as it probably could" IMO is still not saying anything about how the system sounds. Describe specific characteristics of the sound that you don't like or that are lacking. Is it lacking in transparency, detail, too bright, too dark, too thin sounding, too forward sounding, poor imaging, etc ?

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
You could start off buying a better receiver with more power and preamp outputs. That should cost you around $400 or so.

Something like one of these receivers would do the trick.

Yamaha RX-V1065
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=YAMRXV1065BL

Onkyo TX-SR707
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Marantz SR-5004
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

The Yamaha and Onkyo both have phono inputs too. you'd need to use a phono preamp for the Marantz 5004.

And if you still feel you need more power you'll have enough left from your $700 budget for a Emotiva UPA-2.
http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

The RX-363 is an entry level receiver with a 240w power supply and doesn't have the discrete amplification of the 1065 or the Marantz and Onkyo receivers. No way it could put out anywhere near 100 watts cleanly.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
No, just another option. I actually prefer a multichannel avr for stereo, myself. Any mid level avr should be able to put out 100+ watts for short bursts. Most are rated like 130x2 at 8ohms, atleast. Plus most (all?) stereo avr's lack any auto room EQ like Audyssey or MCACC.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The 363 is and ultra budget receiver with the largest compromises in the power supply. If power is holding you back, you simply need to buy a better receiver.

I suggest the RX-V667, but I don't know what your budget is. Admittedly, it's not going to make a huge difference. If it's double the power, which seems unlikely, it could be somewhat worth it.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

- it's NOT easy...

- you aren't helping any... you still haven't defined what you "think you are missing"...

you can't get a "correct answer" (or even a "correct guess") unless you define what your issue is...

also... how do you have them set up? how far do you sit from them? what's your room look like? and so on.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If I had $1k to spend, I'd probably get the Anthem MRX300. Anthem's auto room EQ (ARC) gets a ton of praise from users. Some say its better than Audyssey. Although now that Audyssey's new XT32 is out, who knows...

http://www.anthemav.com/products/ant...ceiver/mrx-300

btw, something is wrong with your CAD program... LOL Nice drawing.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruler /forum/post/19577877

And a wonderful drawing of my room.

You should consider the possibility that your very poor system configuration is your biggest sonic issue. If your drawing is accurate, you have one speaker stuck in a corner, the other next to a door. Both speakers are placed flat against the wall, and you have "audio stuff" occupying all of the space in between the speakers and extending further out from the wall than the speakers. Finally, you have a desk in between you and the speakers. All that adds up to specular reflections galore!

AJ

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't got around to pointing the speakers towards my head. And the stuff in between is lower and doesn't go out as much. The desk is much lower than the speakers too, and my head is just about level with the speakers, so I don't see the problem with that. Except the monitor on the desk is probably getting in the way. Theres no other way I could possible set it up so the speakers aren't in a corner. Time to move to the basement maybe?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Just for an experiment move the speakers out from the wall a little and see if the sound improves. I would also suggest towing them in toward the listening position. That is very important. Not having them towed in could be a major part of the problem as well as them being a little to close to the wall.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I'll try that. One more question. Should the tweeters and mid be on the inside or outside?

Also was reading a guide for speaker placement, and it certainly seems like I need to get a new room in the basement lol. Maybe I should spend the money on drywall and a nice projector or something.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruler /forum/post/19578235

The desk is much lower than the speakers too, and my head is just about level with the speakers, so I don't see the problem with that. Except the monitor on the desk is probably getting in the way.

Even if it is much lower than the speakers, the desk is still a broad, flat, reflective surface between you and the speakers. You are hearing reflections from the desk, guaranteed. This is why people who have an untreated hardwood floor or place a coffee table between the speakers and the listening position know little about acoustics and/or care less about audio than they do aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruler /forum/post/19578235

Theres no other way I could possible set it up so the speakers aren't in a corner.

Baloney. I have never actually seen your room, but I bet that, if you were willing to prioritize audio, you could place your speakers in far better sounding locations. If you are unwilling to do that, then you may need to lower your expectations for your system. Or, as you say, set up a new listening room in the basement.

AJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts