AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mitsubishi 62725 DLP and I use DirecTV HD TIVO HR10-250 for my programming. The HD TIVO is connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

Since there is only one HDMI input on my set I am forced to use component connection from the DVD to the TV. (I watch much more Satellite than DVD so I would rather use the HDMI on the SAT)

My question - I have seen rave reviews for the Panny DVD-XP30 (under $300) - will this fit the bill for me???

I want something upconverts that gives me a 720p picture since that is my TV's native resolution.

Also, would the Toshiba SD-3960 (under $75) work?

I just cant justify buying a crazy Denon DVD-3910 for over a grand! Especially since I will be renting about 2-3 movies a month... Keep in mind that I have no choice but to use the analog component cables...

Any other DVD recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the use of your knowledge!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

I have a Pioneer Elite upconverting unit that only works over HDMI, so your plan to use component for upconversion may not work. In any event, IMHO, the main value of these units is the all-digital HDMI connection, not the supposed "upconversion," which I think is a bit silly (how can you provide information that simply is not there?)

With re to the MITS, you've hit on an issue for me also: I'm thinking of purchasing the MITS (I think it's clearly the best DLP pic out there), but with only one HDMI input, I'm not completely sure. I would have to watch either cable or DVDs over component, outside the digital realm.

[On that point, there's also a rumor on some of these threads that the MITS HDMI connection actually coverts to analog then back to digital. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Anybody with expertise on this subject know for sure?]

Back to the initial issue: For me, I could potentially use a cable card for my needs now and bypass the HDMI, but if I ever want to set up a PVR, I'd again have the one HDMI input problem that you have.

What was MITS thinking? Am I missing something? Do they expect us all ot have a cable card or buy their unit with the built-in PVR?

Anyone?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.