AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come... I have loved the RTV for many years and plan on keeping it, but with HD in our LR and BR, it's time to get an HD DRV. Which do you guys recommend - the Comcast DVR or Tivo? I'm so used to the features on the RTV, and want similar ones on the new DVR. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) TV Guide

2) 30 second skip (or something similar)

3) 7 second rewind (or something similar)

4) Specified minutes fast forward or rewind (like pressing a number key and the replay/quickskip button on RTV)

I kow commercial skip is out, but the ability to watch football games in 1 hour instead of 3 is great!

Since you guys are the most discerning DVR folks in the world, I'd like to solicit opinions here.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 3rd option which I would recommend highly: Dish HD PVR receiver 622. It basically performs everything you listed. I'd watch out for Comcast's HD PVR. A few months ago, our local paper ran a consumer update article on the number of complaints an problems they are having with their units.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I got a comcast DVR two weeks ago and braced myself for a bad software experience. While it is quite a bit more clunky than ReplayTV's interface, it isn't too bad.

1) TV Guide--yep

2) 30 Second Skip--yep, but you have to program them into the Comcast remote.

3) Jumpback--yep

4) Specified minues fast forward or rewind--no idea, I haven't tried that yet.

Long and short, the Comcast DVR doesn't hold a candle to Replay's interface, but it is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree with Creech. The Comcast Mot DVR has been relatively solid for us. I think there were a couple of times that I overran the keypress buffer or something and then it wouldn't take any more commands at all. I had to unplug it.

Otherwise, it's pretty good. Very rudimentary compared the RPTV's interface, but for HD I'll give up some of the niceties of RPTV software in exchange for the PQ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
been thru 5 comcasst DVR's. 1 problem after another. Finally got rid of it & went to Dish.

So far have been really pleased w/ the 622. Also can record much more contant than the Motorola DVR, since it has a bigger HD

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabig25 /forum/post/0

been thru 5 comcasst DVR's. 1 problem after another. Finally got rid of it & went to Dish.

So far have been really pleased w/ the 622. Also can record much more contant than the Motorola DVR, since it has a bigger HD

Heh, I had the opposite experience. SO much trouble with Dish that I jumped ship and went to Comcast. I had a receiver that sporadically wouldn't work.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had a couple of the SA 8300 HD DVRS from Comcast, but after years with RTV, I couldn't take it any more and sprung for a series 3 TiVo. I won't look back. I still have the RTVs for analog shows, although I might be pursuaded to release one if anyone needs a 5525 (that's a 5540 with a 250GB HDD) at a reasonable price. Anyway, while ithe Tivo is no RTV, it's head and shoulders above the SA 8300.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.