AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Sony VPL HW55ES only to realize after the fact that it will not work with my room. My throw distance is 17 feet (due to a VERY low ceiling (82 inches without drywall and carpet). Again, due to the low ceiling and the fact that i want 2 rows in the theater, I will have a screen size between 92 and 100 inches. The Sony will only display 111 inches and larger at 17 feet so.....I need a new projector.

What do you recommend? I want to stay within the same budget as the Sony (or less money if possible).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I bought a Sony VPL HW55ES only to realize after the fact that it will not work with my room. My throw distance is 17 feet (due to a VERY low ceiling (82 inches without drywall and carpet). Again, due to the low ceiling and the fact that i want 2 rows in the theater, I will have a screen size between 92 and 100 inches. The Sony will only display 111 inches and larger at 17 feet so.....I need a new projector.

What do you recommend? I want to stay within the same budget as the Sony (or less money if possible).

Thanks in advance
Mount the projector closer, or go with 112" if you can fit it on the wall. My projector is at about 17' with a 110" screen and could be larger from the main seats at 14' and it is not to large sitting in the side seat (couch) which is about 8' from the screen.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
You covered all the bases:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...943529-sony-vpl-hw55es-location-question.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...n-construction/1954513-riser-help-please.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...distance-screen-gain-relating-projectors.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...5-can-someone-please-help-me-screen-size.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1955505-how-far-ceiling-can-i-mount-screen.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...gain-fixed-16-9-screen-less-than-1-000-a.html

I think you figured it out today, that this is not the last question to ask (after you bought a projector)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ge-size-projector-certain-throw-distance.html

I assume you didn't import the sony?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...sd-msrp/1953145-sony-import-vs-usa-model.html

I assume you've read everything that's been lined out for you in the other threads? If so, a layout of your room with dimensions (including riser) would be the first place to start. Light controlled room? Percentage of you viewing breakdown (movies etc)? Any certain technology you are draw to (DLP, LCD)? Budget amount? No one knows what you paid for the Sony, so it would be helpful to know the dollar range you want to spend. Have you already bought a screen? I would assume not, if you have, then let us know what we are dealing with?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not import the Sony...that was for a friend of mine. I have a USA version that I can still return. I paid just over $3,000 for it.

I am building my first theater and using this forum as a reference/ guide. As I continue to build, I find more and more obstacles.

My room is 17 feet long, 12.6 feet wide and has (right now) an 82" ceiling. I will be putting 2 X 5/8 drywall with green glue on the ceiling. I will have carpeting with padding on the floor. I figure my ceiling height will be approx 78.5 inches when I am done. I will have no windows in the room ( I need to remove a basement window which will be done this week).

I started building the riser (12 inches high) this weekend:

I bought 7 chairs from Roman (streamline) which were delivered Saturday:

I spoke with Craig from AVS today. He said either the Epson5030 or the JVC RS4910 will work for me.

I will be watching 2-3 movies per week and weekly television shows. thx

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I did not import the Sony...that was for a friend of mine. I have a USA version that I can still return. I paid just over $3,000 for it.

I am building my first theater and using this forum as a reference/ guide. As I continue to build, I find more and more obstacles.

My room is 17 feet long, 12.6 feet wide and has (right now) an 82" ceiling. I will be putting 2 X 5/8 drywall with green glue on the ceiling. I will have carpeting with padding on the floor. I figure my ceiling height will be approx 78.5 inches when I am done. I will have no windows in the room ( I need to remove a basement window which will be done this week).

I started building the riser (12 inches high) this weekend:

I bought 7 chairs from Roman (streamline) which were delivered Saturday:

I spoke with Craig from AVS today. He said either the Epson5030 or the JVC RS4910 will work for me.

I will be watching 2-3 movies per week and weekly television shows. thx
My personal preference would be the JVC 4910 for it's image. I have not seen the Epson, so I can't comment. In epson's favor is their warranty and swap out program (your projector needs repair, you can get it repaired or they will also give you the option to swap it out for another refurb'd/used unit...that they will ship to you).

I have a JVC 700 and love it. I assume you've used the projector calculator for both and it works for your layout. I would wait on any screen purchase till you've had a chance to throw an image on the wall and see what works best...let that guide you on size and ratio.

Ron

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Side note, I would use the search engine within the owner's threads for each. In epson, use "jvc" as your search word and visa versa. You might find ppl that have viewed/demo'd both that can provide some feedback.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My ceiling is just a bit higher than yours---about 87". My throw is 18 1/2' to a 120" 16:9 screen with the Epson 5030ub. It's on a shelf about 5' high. Very happy with it and should work fine for you. Hope this helps.

Ed

·
Registered
30,259 Posts

Thanks in advance
Since you are height restricted, I would mount the projector closer. Get an A-lens and go with a scope screen. That way you are not giving up any size on 16:9 and gaining a much larger scope image.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even with an 82" ceiling and second row on a 12" riser, a low profile ceiling mount should give more than enough room for any projector besides a pro big box model.

Besides the projected image not matching your screen, were you able to set it up like it would be with a seat at the same height as your finished second row would be?

just my $ .0002

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have the riser finished tonight. I really do not want the projector in the room. It is such a small room.

What is a scope screen? I see some people have 1 projector for 16:9 and 1 projector for 3.35:1. Is a scope screen 2.35:1? If I get a 2.35:1 screen can I watch 16:9 material on it? I mean, would I need to adjust the projector for 16:9?

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
This is really for Mike.;)

And you're welcome Wolf!

Ed
Can't be correct. 82" ceiling with a projector mount on the ceiling sticks down about 9-1/2". 82"-9-1/2"=72.5'. 42" eye height on 12" riser is 54". Projector body is 18.5" above the eyes. No way it could block the image, even if the screen frame is against the ceiling.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
I will have the riser finished tonight. I really do not want the projector in the room. It is such a small room.

What is a scope screen? I see some people have 1 projector for 16:9 and 1 projector for 3.35:1. Is a scope screen 2.35:1? If I get a 2.35:1 screen can I watch 16:9 material on it? I mean, would I need to adjust the projector for 16:9?
You could add a CineVista A-lens. Lens stays in front of the projector. When projecting 16:9, you fill the height of the screen, but not the full width of the scope screen. When projecting a scope image, you completely fill the screen.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so....I should keep the Sony and mount it over the first row? the first row is approx 10 feet away from the screen.

My issue with mounting the projector on the ceiling is that I plan on placing the screen as close to the ceiling as possible. I am nervous that the second row on the riser will have the top of the screen blocked by the projector.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
so....I should keep the Sony and mount it over the first row? the first row is approx 10 feet away from the screen.

My issue with mounting the projector on the ceiling is that I plan on placing the screen as close to the ceiling as possible. I am nervous that the second row on the riser will have the top of the screen blocked by the projector.
What is first row viewing distance?
Second row viewing distance?
Screen height?
Screen mounting height?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is first row viewing distance?
Second row viewing distance?
Screen height?
Screen mounting height?
First row is approx 10 feet from the screen. Second row is 16.5 feet from the screen. The screen will be about an inch under the ceiling. I am not sure how big it is yet- I need to set up the seats and take out the painters tape. Right now I have 82 inches floor to ceiling. I am using 2 pieces of 5/8 sheetrock with green glue on the ceiling. I will also have carpet and padding on the floor. Riser is 12 inches high + padding and carpet. Thx

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
First row is approx 10 feet from the screen. Second row is 16.5 feet from the screen. The screen will be about an inch under the ceiling. I am not sure how big it is yet- I need to set up the seats and take out the painters tape. Right now I have 82 inches floor to ceiling. I am using 2 pieces of 5/8 sheetrock with green glue on the ceiling. I will also have carpet and padding on the floor. Riser is 12 inches high + padding and carpet. Thx
Have you already bought and received the screen?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts