AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop: the old lady wanted a new tv stand, and that was that. Unfortunately, the stand only has 1 middle shelf, and it's a 6" clearance. My old Technics receiver doesn't fit in there, so I'm in the market.

The #1 criteria is of course the size - the shelf has 6" clearance, but space for airflow would be needed.

Otherwise:

7.1 capability would be nice, but only as future-proofing. Right now I'm running 2.1 anways.

HDMI is not a deal-breaker, but as I just got a new plasma, it would be nice to have.

The system is used for ~80% movies/tv, 20% music.

Right now the only thing I've seen is the panasonic sa-xr57, which seems to fit the bill. Just wanted to see if there are any other ideas out there.. haven't heard a digital amp yet myself.

Not sure if there is anything else I'm missing, but if there is, please do let me know. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is a redirection of your intended answer, but I went through very similar space (and spouse) issues related to our A/V receiver in the family room.

I put a Denon AVR-1906 in the cabinet - knowing ahead of time it would fit - and cringed at the obvious heat buildup. Major surgery was needed for the cabinet, it seemed.

Then, I saw this at Target and even the spouse liked the look when I held it and the receiver up to the wall as a demonstration (nearly losing both items in the process). It is a rather discreet installation when mounting the unit somewhere that doesn't make it seem isolated, plus coloured cable wraps helped to make black cables and speaker wire become unnoticeable.

That's what we use now to hold our Denon AVR-2106. The television is mounted in a corner of our den with a central speaker on top, and this mount places the A/V receiver just behind that speaker and barely above the television when you are sitting down. Visibility is just right for the universal remote controller and it actually fits well into the whole "A/V corner" without wasting space or heating up some shelf space in a rack.

- ooofest

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams828 /forum/post/0

Cool that's not a bad idea... unfortunately we're in an apt right now, so I'm not to keen on putting any big holes in the walls =/

I think it's three or four 1/4" lag bolts (supplied) which keeps the wall plate in place - all the A/V and speaker cables can run through the snap-on cover which conceals that wall connection plate.

I guess local standards apply and all, of course. My last landlord was easy-going on little holes in the walls, especially since I quickly patched everything up before moving out.

I originally tried out one of those over-the-television shelves, which essentially rested on top of the TV back with little nubs that held it onto the face. The mount worked fine, but I worried about the TV adding heat to the receiver. Still, it was more open than when placed within a confined shelf space.

Good luck with your choice.

- ooofest

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.