AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new receiver for under $400. I'm considering a Sony STR-DG820 or Onkyo TX-SR606. I do believe the Onkyo to be a better product for about the same money, but I will admit I'm a bit of a Sony snob.

Another option I have is my brothers used Onkyo TX-SR705. It's about a year old, but he is very meticulous and I know it was well cared for. Plus, it has a 3-year extended warranty. He said he'd let me have it for $300.

So my real question is, do you guys think an new receiver in the under-$400 price range would be better than a used Onkyo that was about $750 a year ago? What kind of technology or features would I be missing out on with the older unit? What advantages would the older higher end Onkyo offer?

My current HT system is:
Television: 52" Sony XBR5
Speakers: Essentially an Axiom 5.1 package, but with a SVS sub
BluRay: PS3
Receiver: Sony STR-DE935 (About 10 years old.)

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
A 705 with warranty for $300 is a killer deal, pretty hard to beat. Plus, since it was your brother's you know it's not a "bad apple" Onkyo with buzzing or other glitches (unless your brother isn't being honest with you!
) There is nothing you can buy for $300 that will match up with that receiver's feature set (especially the combination of full HD audio codecs, 3 HDMI inputs, and Audyssey MultEQ XT)

It doesn't sound like you actually NEED all those features, but hey, why not? It's a great receiver as long as you can give it proper ventilation as it runs very hot. You will be blown away by the difference MultEQ XT, HD audio, and REAL power make compared to that old Sony.

Check out the "best sub $400 receiver" thread for more reviews, thoughts, discussions.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092513

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Denon 888 is available at Amazon at an amazingly good deal (not supposed to say a number but let's say it's less than half of it's $750 list price) It's last year's model with 2 HDMI and lacks Audyssey (sp?) auto volume thing but it has a ton of features that you'll only find on $450+ receivers. Quirky remote but other than that a very solid receiver. See batpigs web site for tons of good info on it.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
actually, unfortunately Amazon ran out of those, so the 888 deal is dead for now. I'm sure if you search around the internets you can find one for sub-$400, but the convenience of Amazon is done.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15460553

a 705 with warranty for $300 is a killer deal, pretty hard to beat. Plus, since it was your brother's you know it's not a "bad apple" onkyo with buzzing or other glitches (unless your brother isn't being honest with you!
) there is nothing you can buy for $300 that will match up with that receiver's feature set (especially the combination of full hd audio codecs, 3 hdmi inputs, and audyssey multeq xt)

it doesn't sound like you actually need all those features, but hey, why not? It's a great receiver as long as you can give it proper ventilation as it runs very hot. You will be blown away by the difference multeq xt, hd audio, and real power make compared to that old sony.

Check out the "best sub $400 receiver" thread for more reviews, thoughts, discussions.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092513

+1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts