AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Yamaha HTR 5890 receiver and an SCS 300.7 and the sub needs to be replaced. The listening room is 14ft by 10ft. I say listening area because the living room is also part of the dining room. The whole room is 14 by 23 ft but just the living room part is 14x10. This sub has been pretty good but I have no idea how it compares to the rest.

I know the STF-1 and X-sub as well as the Bic F12 are supposed to be the holy grails of that price range but would two Bic F12 ($185 x 2) be better than the other two subs? Or would the price of just one Bic make it the one to go with? Also what is the difference between front firing and down firing? I like a lot of bass and no Im not willing to spend more than $350.

Im sorry if this has been asked a million times and I know SEARCH my eyes are hurting from all the reading just wanted a bit more input.

BTW 60% gaming, 30% movies Blu Ray mostly, 10% music

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkendall /forum/post/20843944

It is on sale right now for $350 with free shipping. The details are in the link I posted.

If you have a Chase card and shop through their Ultimate Rewards feature, you get 5% cash back on the purchase, bringing the final cost to 332.50.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hello FreakZilla, just thought I would give you a few more options... if needed that is. I have dual Bic Pl-200's that i use in the back portion of my HT area and just added the PA-150 in the front. The Bic Pl-200 is a great sub for HT as it can be had for $270 shipped and the PA-150 for $345 shipped. The PA-150 is quite an impressive sub esp for the price, its on par with the stacked Pl-200's I have. If I were to say the only advantage to the Bic Pl's over the Pa is it does hit just a tiny bit harder at the lower hz but not by much but when it raise up just a bit the PA hits as hard as dual Pl's. Anyhow.. just thought I would throw that advise in.

Have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The PA 150 is a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm really leaning towards it now
It's between that, the PL-200, and HSU STF-2. But Im thinking I may go with the PA 150. Anyone know how that would compare to the sub that came with the JBL SCS300.7?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakZilla
The PA 150 is a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm really leaning towards it now
It's between that, the PL-200, and HSU STF-2. But Im thinking I may go with the PA 150. Anyone know how that would compare to the sub that came with the JBL SCS300.7?
At $345 with shiiping the PA-150 falls under the $350 price you have mentioned. I cant cpmpare the JBL but I can compare the Older Onkyo HTIB sub I had before I replaced it with the Pl-200. THe Onkyo HTIB looks like its in the same leauge as far as power/size with the JBL you have. After replacing the older sub I would say the HTIB sub isnt even close to being in the same catagory/league as the PL-200, its quite a vast improvement. I have been ver happy with the Bic Pl-200's as it wasnt until just recent I got the "bug" to add another. After reading the test/post that Ricci has here on AVS on the PA-150 I thought I would give it a try... glad I did!

The PA-150 is bigger and twice the weight of the Bic Pl-200 so you may want to take that into fact (Bic Pl-200 on left & PA-150 on right)....

Attachment 220549

THe Pa-150 weighs in at a little over 80lbs as to the Bic Pl weighs a little over 40lbs.

To be honest, no matter which sub you go with such as the HSU, BIC, PA or the Klipsch RW-12d ( on sale right now at New Egg for $350)... it will be a vast improvement over the current sub you have.

Have fun & good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more question: How would this pair up with the yamaha receiver considering this sub is 1000 watt vs 150 for the old JBL?

For the Yamaha

RMS Output Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 120W x 7

RMS Output Power (1kHz) 140W x 7

Total Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 840W

I'm still a noob with this stuff.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakZilla /forum/post/20880237

One more question: How would this pair up with the yamaha receiver considering this sub is 1000 watt vs 150 for the old JBL?

For the Yamaha

RMS Output Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 120W x 7

RMS Output Power (1kHz) 140W x 7

Total Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 840W

I'm still a noob with this stuff.

The power of the sub doesn't matter as the Yamaha doesn't have to power it. Choose the sub you want

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just one more question before I pull the trigger. Sub is 4ohms and the receiver is 8 ohms. I thought that since the receiver isn't powering the sub then it didn't matter. Could someone please clarify?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakZilla
Thank you very much. I was told by two people that there was still current going from the sub to the receiver and that it could blow ou the amp.
Don't listen to those two people when it comes to home theater equipment.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally /forum/post/0

Hello FreakZilla, just thought I would give you a few more options... if needed that is. I have dual Bic Pl-200's that i use in the back portion of my HT area and just added the PA-150 in the front. The Bic Pl-200 is a great sub for HT as it can be had for $270 shipped and the PA-150 for $345 shipped. The PA-150 is quite an impressive sub esp for the price, its on par with the stacked Pl-200's I have. If I were to say the only advantage to the Bic Pl's over the Pa is it does hit just a tiny bit harder at the lower hz but not by much but when it raise up just a bit the PA hits as hard as dual Pl's. Anyhow.. just thought I would throw that advise in.

Have fun!

Not that I don't believe you, but am considering dual F-12s vs a pa-150. Do you happen to have any measurements? Could you elaborate on the differences between the dual pl200s u have and the pa-150? Would help me a ton! My room is 14x22x8 and my usage is 80%ht 20% music.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.