AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently waiting for the release of Sony's 65HX929 to replace my XBR2, but I would like to replace my 44" DLP in our family room with an LCD or LED tv.

I want good PQ, but it doesn't have to be a perfect picture and I Wang to spend under $2000.00. I did consider the Sharp Aquos 832U and the 830U, but there are mixed reviews even though Flat Panel HD gave the latter a very good review. Samsungs seem to have issues as well.

So I'd appreciate some advice on what to buy with a screen size of 46 - 55 inches.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Buy the one from a place w/ good return policies or very good customer service.

After reading this forum, I've discovered that EVERY LED TV out there has issues. Then it comes down to how sensitive you are to the flashlighting and clouding issue that seems to plague every edge-lit LED TV in existence.

For many people, it doesn't bother them. Just look at the rave reviews on Amazon and Costco. For others, it bothers them and the first number they call after they set-up their TV is not their BFF's to come watch their new TV, but to a manufacturer's service center number. Samsung, LG, Sharp, Sony, etc...they all have problems in every single model.

I just got a Sharp 60" LE832U from Costco which has easy no-hassle 90 day returns, 2 year warranty and 3 more years from Squaretrade for $99. I'll probably post an update tonight after I have it set-up. My fingers are crossed that I won't have any problems and if there are, the problems (probably a little cloudiness) are something I can live with. Costco reviews gave it rave reviews. Amazon reviewers had the similar 833U and it had rave reviews. AVS'ers, and I count myself in this group, tend to be a lot pickier than the average lay-person. That's why we're all on this site

Not to sound too jaded, but after pouring through multiple LED TV threads, eventually, you'll just have to pick one and pray it doesn't have any problems. For a 60"+ TV for under $2000, you'll quickly find that you don't have too many choices. Since they don't like us to talk price too much here, I"ll go out on a limb and say to check the usual electronic B&M's plus the internet vendors or just use Google's price checker and you'll quickly find out what options you have for under $2000.

Good luck with your search

Correction, 46-55" you have lots of options for under $2000. Do you want 3D or not? There are at least 20+ decent models to choose from in your range as opposed to the 5-6 for 60"+ under $2000...LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.