AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I originally posted this in wrong area

-----------------------------------------

I have a center channel (B&W HT 1) on a adjustable stand, its a tilt with a glass base (Lovan Millennium).

It holds up to a 150 lbs. and is 22" wide.

I want to place it on top of a platform type of box that is strong enough to hold the center speaker and stand which are quite heavy.

The reason is that I am trying to raise the speaker and stand to just below the screen and try and see if the sound improves.

I notice when I do a sound check that the sound from the center sounds sounds totally different from the L & R speakers which are the same as the center channel only vertically.

I am hoping that if I raise it to a level near the height of the L & R the sound will be more evenly.

Obviously I do not want to spend a large amount of money on a new type of center channel stand and have possibly the same result.

While there are many things I can think of (concrete block, build a thick wooden box) I am asking the question to avoid using a type of material that may alter the sound.

The center channel is heavy and the stand I purchased was one that was recommended for my speaker as most of the ones I saw were either too narrow or would not support the weight.

I thought of a flat tv stand but they all seem to have doors and I think it would not look right.

Any suggestions would be great and avoid a lot of experiments.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Yankee, I’d like to see a picture of your situation.

If your center channel is enclosed as it sounds like you are describing. I almost bet that is your problem.

You center should be open like you see in the picture above. Not encased in a box.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy New Year !

MTBDUDEX : I like your adjustable rack.

Can you tell me where I can purchase the material.

I really like the Rosewood ? Cherry wood.

My speakers are similar color of wood.

Suffork 112000:

As you can see in the picture my speaker is not enclosed it is about 8 inches out from the wall which is the same as my L & R speakers.

Could not attach (drag and Drop) the pictures from my desktop

I have never set up a URL or whatever the term is to link pictures.

I think its time I learned how, I have an Apple if that alters any advice.

If there is an easy way to do this (attach pictures) please let me know or I could send you an e-mail of the pictures.

Greg

·
Registered
7,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 /forum/post/15430575

Happy New Year !

MTBDUDEX : I like your adjustable rack.

Can you tell me where I can purchase the material.

I really like the Rosewood ? Cherry wood.

My speakers are similar color of wood.

Greg

Greg:

Here is my thread showing attempt at color matching Rosenut:
Cabinet color match for Paradigm Rosenut??

He is build for center shelf:
Center speaker shelf & acoustic edge effects

I used Home Depot Black adj shelf stands and 24" long shelf brackets (white, painted black).

Good luck.

Mike R

·
Registered
7,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 /forum/post/15430575

Happy New Year !

Could not attach (drag and Drop) the pictures from my desktop

I have never set up a URL or whatever the term is to link pictures.

I think its time I learned how, I have an Apple if that alters any advice.

If there is an easy way to do this (attach pictures) please let me know or I could send you an e-mail of the pictures.

Greg

Greg;

Posting picts from a Mac 101:

I have 24" iMac and use iPhoto. iPhoto has easy export into Google Picasa. From in Google Picasa I just go to the photo I want, go to the attach the link on RH side, copy it. In avs forum hit the "pict" icon, paste the address there.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info I already had a google account so I downloaded the app and was able to use my current account .

Here goes:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Greg

There are two pictures, but you have to chick on the web site.

Is there a way to have them show in the box like like mtbdudex ?

I already feel like I conquered the computer world.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links,

I did a base for the two subs( left and right of the center channel and used a rosewood stain but it was no where near as good a match as the bombay, I used a mini wax brand.

I sealed it so I doubt I can mess with re-staining them, they are not very visible.

I used oak molding for the platforms and gave it a square look

It looks like you rounded the corners, I would love to do that.

I have limited tools and I tend to have two left hands for construction that is complicated.

Since I already have a stand ($150.00) that tilts and holds the speaker I am thinking that I would use that and place it on top of the board.

Just to confirm, it looks like you used 1" pine instead of oak.

(1) Other then possible price is there a reason you chose pine over oak.

(2) Do you think that the bombay stain would have a different effect on the oak compared to the pine.

(3) Did you use pine on the molding (rounded corners) also.

Sorry to be a pain and ask a bunch of questions but I really like your results, its what would work great for me and the built in adjustable shelf is a great idea.

Greg

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Greg:

RH click on the image, choose "copy image location", past that into the pict icon.

see below.

By the way, really nice HT!

If you choose the "Embed image" option, you need to delete some of the HTML code before/after the pict location, else you'll get this ****.

You want just the stuff in RED/Bold.

You can change the size of the pict displayed to 4 sizes.

144, s144

288, s288

400, s400

800, s800

that shows just before the actual picture name you uploaded.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee14 /forum/post/15431428

Thanks for the links,

I did a base for the two subs( left and right of the center channel and used a rosewood stain but it was no where near as good a match as the bombay, I used a mini wax brand.

I sealed it so I doubt I can mess with re-staining them, they are not very visible.

I used oak molding for the platforms and gave it a square look

It looks like you rounded the corners, I would love to do that.

I have limited tools and I tend to have two left hands for construction that is complicated.

Since I already have a stand ($150.00) that tilts and holds the speaker I am thinking that I would use that and place it on top of the board.

Just to confirm, it looks like you used 1" pine instead of oak.

(2) Do you think that the bombay stain would have a different effect on the oak compared to the pine.

Sorry to be a pain and ask a bunch of questions but I really like your results, its what would work great for me and the built in adjustable shelf is a great idea.

Greg

Hopefully this is more clear:

I originally choose 1" pine - the thick stuff you can buy from Home Depot/Lowes comes in glued board various thickness/width/length, but felt why stain that dark to cover that, so I returned it.

Decided to make a "glue sandwich" of 3/4" OSB and 3/4" MDF leftover wood, put laminate on the top (leftover from IB sub project).

For the edge I used Oak trim, cut/glued onto the board.

That got the stain treatment.

Maybe not clear in my other posts, the stain went onto the Oak trim.

Rounded corners, I thought how to do that. They are Oak.

Each trim piece was miter box cut 45deg and glued onto the shelf prior to laminate, just like you'd do on baseboard mldg outside corner.

Then, after glue dried I put the shelf on my power miter saw and cut a small 45 degree cut each corner. Then, I cut a small 22.5 degree cut onto each side of the 45 degree cut.

Each corner therefore had a 45deg cut with 22.5 on each side, getting close to round.

Then, I took a palm sander and smoothened out the slight edges into a round corner. Sounds more complicated than it really is.

Since you already own a device to tilt your center speaker, no need to make the "wedgies" like I did, you might need to put something between the glass bottom and the shelf top for friction to keep from slipping. I used shelf liner for my "wedgies", also help for some vibration isolation.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the answers guys.

I will work on the pictures, first attempt and it at least worked, I figured that I would totally screw it up.

Shelf:

I think I will pass on trying to round the corners.

I think in keeping the glass stand, the appearance of the shelf may be less noticeable.

I am rethinking the color as perhaps painting it in ebony that you showed.

The glass base may blend better with a black (ebony) color shelf and the shelf hardware.

Again let me thank both of you and I will work on my new google web photo ability.

Greg

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the note about the theater, its 14 x 23, 7.1 speakers and I have a closet area behind the components for easy access.

My wife reminded me that I have an wooden box that a neighbor built for me years ago, he enjoyed working with building wood items.

its a near perfect size 11x21 inches, It has 4 sides with both the front and back open.

Its stained a golden brown. The stain should be the least of the problem.

It is made of 1" oak and it is the type that connects together without and nails, (sorry not to know the definition).

I am going to test it tomorrow to see if the sound changes and then I can decide how to use it.

If it works I can do several things depending on any sound change.

(1) leave it as is, as a platform with the openings.

(2) Close the back

(3) I have several acoustic pads that I could put into the box opening and then close the back and front.

(4) Build a wooden "curtain" around the outside of the box it and use the bombay stain.

Regarding # 3, I read somewhere that wood flooring should have some type of soundproofing, not sure this is answer BUT I have the material so there is no expense.

I doubt I can get to that project before next week, I will keep in touch.

If you prefer one over the other or another alternative please let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.