AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burnt up my dad's Ox Pro Series Projector, which I believe was immensely cheap. Used it for Blu Ray and gaming and occasionally television. We can't seem to find a replacement bulb anywhere on the internet. It cost us about $400, but that was back in 2010.

I'm new to all this. But I'm looking for a projector than can cover an 11 foot screen, with a price range ending at $500.

Had my eye on this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-MegaP...35?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item2ecaf3f707

Also, what's up with these cheap ones? Why are they so cheap? This ohttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HD-1080P-LED-Multimedia-Projector-Home-Cinema-Theater-PC-AV-TV-USB-VGA-HDMI-/281278822149?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item417d863705ne for example:

Sorry if ask to many questions. I'm trying to understand as much as possible. And thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Those cheap projectors are just toys and should be treated as such. For Blu Ray I would save up another $200 and get a 1080p BenQ 1070. If you are absolutely stuck with that budget then the 720p Optoma hd180 would be a good choice. Avoid your business data projectors and anything you can't find solid reviews on from other sources than the seller.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
The already mentioned 180 along with the Acer 5380 are the best looking around $500, but for $200 more, getting that w1070 will give you arguably the best projector under $1900! It also has very long lasting lamp-life which is never a bad thing.

The cheap LCD and epsons will have much worse measured (actually measured) contrast.
The cheapest LED models will be putting out a measured (truly measured) brightness around 20-150lumens which will make for a dim screen. There are some $450-500 LED DLPs putting out around 400lumens, but only a working gamma control (easy if you're playing from a PC/laptop) will make that low brightness good for dark scenes at that size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts