AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my dilemma. I'm in no way a display expert so forgive my amateurish terminology.

I work for a sports bar. The primary screen at the bar is a 12-foot, 3x3-square paneled screen. It can operate with up to 6 concurrent video sources, either in a full screen or a 4-panel main + 5 single-panel mini screen formation (horrible diagram below).

##*

##*

It is run by a multi-projector setup (one projector for each panel of the display) Anyway, the screen is having stabilization issues and the PQ is sub-par to begin with. The tech is circa 1997, and my boss is having trouble finding someone reliable to service it.

I suggested that he could probably find a suitable projector to replace the entire setup for less than the cost of repairing the old one.

The requirements would be:

SD projector

Capable of receiving and displaying multiple SD sources in an arrangement similar to the one listed above

Under $750

Now considering my lack of knowledge on the subject, I'm wondering;

a) How common are multi-source/display projectors? Is it just preferred to have multiple projectors and some kind of routing device to handle the display arrangement (ie coalescing the multiple projectors into one screen/image)?

From my small amount of knowledge about home theater, I'm well aware that just about any commercially available projector could give you a decent quality display at a 10-12 foot size range. Its the multi-display element that is throwing me.

b) Even if I did have a single-projector setup, would I need some peripheral hardware to make the arrangement work correctly?

If someone could help provide me with some usable information on the topic, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to find a workable solution to the situation that works for everybody and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The last thing I would want is for us to over-pay just to get our cruddy 1997 picture quality back....I'd prefer to pay less for a more modern solution that would possibly give us better PQ and easier maintenance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts