AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked WD drives, but looking at the reviews for the WD10EARS is pretty scary with all the failures. Are there any other 1TB drives that are very quiet & reliable?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the WD green 1TB (which I think is the one you mention) and it's quiet and been working great for probably 2 years now. Pretty much any drive less than 4 or 5 years old is going to be pretty quite. IMHO the days of grinding HDD's are behind us.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 /forum/post/20896797

I've always liked WD drives, but looking at the reviews for the WD10EARS is pretty scary with all the failures. Are there any other 1TB drives that are very quiet & reliable?

Samsung 1TB 7200, my favorite as boot drive. Fast and QUIET. Currently $49.99 at Newegg with displayed code (below ref) which as good as it currently gets.

I have maybe 5 of them, and 6 of similar Hitachi, and 5 of similar Seagate, and maybe 3 WD blue and 2 WD black. For Samsung 1TB see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

FWIW, I also have some like of the new 2TB green drives (both Seagate5900 and Samsung5400), but not as a boot drive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my WD Green drives, cool & quiet. I have about 4 now ranging from almost 2yrs to 8mos old and haven't had any problems. I have 3 in a server running Flexraid and 1 as the sole drive on my htpc. With my htpc case open, I can hardly tell it's on.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm generally happy with WD, but I have a 1TB green drive out for RMA right now. It only lasted 2 years.

I have had good luck with most brands - Seagate, WD and Samsung.

I haven't bought Hitachi lately, but might give them a try. I need a 2TB and Frys has them on sale this week. The Hitachis also got a real good review recently from silentpcreview.com.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF /forum/post/20903983

I haven't bought Hitachi lately, but might give them a try. I need a 2TB and Frys has them on sale this week. The Hitachis also got a real good review recently from silentpcreview.com.

I ordered two Hitachi drives in 2008 and I sent them back because they were so hot when running I couldn't even touch them. They were the deskstar models and I've been gun shy with them ever since. Not that it's a good sample size but I thought I'd weigh in.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Update...I also have a WD 1.5TB Green drive in my WHS ver 1. It has a SMART warning for high reallocated sectors, so I might end up replacing it too. It's only about 1.5 years old.

I did buy the Hitachi 2TB this weekend - so far so good

I really think that some type of drive duplication (RAID 1 or WHS duplication) + daily backups is the way to go. It really comes down to luck whether your drives last very long.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a WD10EARS in one of my pc's & it's been very quiet & reliable, but it seems like the newest reviews @Newegg for this drive are really bad. I guess I'll just get another one & hope for the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.