AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new receiver that I can find online for around $400. I will be using it with my PS3 so I want something that can give me Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and PCM for Blu Rays. My speakers are a JBL EC35 and E50's. I'd also like something either neutral or somewhat warm sounding. I've had my Yamaha HTR-5560 for the past 5 years and while I've been pretty happy with it, it seems to be a little bright for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david118383 /forum/post/14327648

anyone?

I'm upgrading my Yamaha HTR5550. I had bought the onkyo 606 but returned it. The Pioneer is also bright just like yamaha. The others aren't as bright. I'm now going to buy a Denon and one of these models:

The 1909 would be closest to your price range as they go up beyond that model #. Though even the 1909 has a list of $650 as it just recently came out.

A lot has changed since our Yammys have been out. Most of the newer models can do the high def codecs D Tru HD, DTS HD MA, LPCM via HDMI. Some of the cooler stuff is the Audyssey Volume and Eq fx's that Denon has. Onkyo just has AuddysseyEq not the volume.

They also have an auto setup where you move a mic around (usu provided) the room and it automatically adjusts the settings. I remember the first time I did this it startled me because you hear a loud beeping sound and I was standing right next to the speaker.

The new breed of receivers will bring new life to your setup. There are a ton of models to choose from, so the best bet is to go listen to what you like first.

Out of the ones I heard I was impressed with Denon the most.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was your reason for returning the Onkyo 606? It seems to have the features I want and is in my price range,

What is the general opinion on the Yamaha RX-V663? This one looks very tempting to me.

Do any of the other manufacturers...Pioneer, H/K, Denon, Sony....have any new receivers coming out soon? The Denon's that you mentioned look nice but are a bit out of my price range.

·
Registered
28,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david118383 /forum/post/14324078

I'm looking for a new receiver that I can find online for around $400. I will be using it with my PS3 so I want something that can give me Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and PCM for Blu Rays. My speakers are a JBL EC35 and E50's. I'd also like something either neutral or somewhat warm sounding. I've had my Yamaha HTR-5560 for the past 5 years and while I've been pretty happy with it, it seems to be a little bright for my tastes.

You PS3 gives you Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and PCM for Blu Rays. All you need is a receiver with HDMI inputs that process audio. Onkyo 605, 606, closeout 705 might be under $400 also. HK 247, 347, 254, will work, Yamaha 661 and 663, several Denon models, Marantz 4001, 4002, 5001, 5002 and up. Some Sony models too, but don't know the model numbers.

They may not all be under $400, but that's pretty big list to chose from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts