AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendation for an avr that can drive 5 ancient power hungry 4 ohm speakers in a fairly large room (28x28'). Due to the age of those speakers, I am adding a subwoofer, so need bass management that allows analog tuning and not just the large speaker/small speaker, ie large speaker=no subwoofer.

Not worried about HDMI too much so long the AVR has 5.1/6.1/7.1 analogue input so I can use BluRay player's output.

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You're going at it all wrong. Receivers are good at handling switching and decoding duties along with a modest capacity to drive speaker loads. With your speakers, you want outboard amplification with either a preprocessor or a receiver in preprocessing mode (using preouts only). There are any number of competent amplifiers at reasonable prices which will handle your requirments. Similarly, any modern AVR should do just fine if you leave the heavy lifting to the big boys.

williak

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any particular recommendation about that modern AVR for me to use as pre-amp/tuner/precessor?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am partial to Denon units as I have owned several over the years and have become familiar (though not enamored) with their particular setup quirks. That said, just about any mid-range receiver from a reputable manufacturer should provide you the functionality you require in preprocessing mode. You will have to be a bit more careful in determining which amplifier(s) will be similarly suitable for your applicaiton. Best of luck.

williak

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
you can get a great deal on a used or dealer leftover b&k AVR505s2 or AVR507s2. They have a very solid amplifier that will drive most speaker systems.

they also have a decent bass management system

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about one of these former "flagships"?

ie

Yamaha RXV1

PIONEER ELITE VSX-49TX

ONKYO TXDS989

Denon AVR-5800

JVC RX-DP2

Kenwood Sovereign VR-59000VBK

Marantz SR-18EX

Nakamichi av10

I have seen Yamaha RXV1 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-49TX priced between $300-500 ...

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee /forum/post/15586013

I have seen Yamaha RXV1 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-49TX priced between $300-500 ...

And why do you suppose working units that once sold for multiple thousands are now going for a few hundred? The answer to this question should indicate the answer to yours.

If budgeting is a major issue, I believe careful selection of components and sales channels will get you high-powered (300W+) amplification with up to date audio (and video) processing including all the latest HD audio modes at less than $2000. A good sub in the range of $500 (or pair for slightly more) would fill out your system.

williak

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock /forum/post/15589306

Mate

I use my ex flagship Marantz SR 12 as a power amp for my Denon 2809. Its just too much hassle to use the analogue inputs, miss out on Audyssey, auto setup, bass management etc.

I still use it for stereo duties with my Monitor Audio setup.

SR12's power amp > 2908's ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts