AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a pair of Yamaha NS-AW150W mounted in my backyard, and I need a simple receiver (or amp, I guess) to power them. The only input needed will be for an airport express (analog) via RCA so that I can stream music from my computer to the airport express. Any suggestions? I may look to add 2 more speakers in the yard in the future so I may need to consider that.

Also, I have this outdoor volume control: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANATOJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Monoprice RMS 100W[/URL]

Any suggestions?

I've been told that the Sherwood RX-4109 could do the trick, but I'd defer to all of your expertise. I'll want to crank the volume.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
12,842 Posts
Yamaha says the speakers are 6-ohm, rated for 35W nominal (120W max, IIRC) input. The Sherwood would work just fine, as would the mini-amp recommended by lulimet.

See also the selection of mini-amps at parts-express.com .

Another option is a gently-used vintage receiver off a local used-goods site (craigslist, kijiji, etc.). You can often find something decent for under $50.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1493760/need-a-reciever-or-amp-to-power-2-x-yamaha-ns-aw150w#post_23811541

Yamaha says the speakers are 6-ohm, rated for 35W nominal (120W max, IIRC) input. The Sherwood would work just fine, as would the mini-amp recommended by lulimet.

See also the selection of mini-amps at parts-express.com .

Another option is a gently-used vintage receiver off a local used-goods site (craigslist, kijiji, etc.). You can often find something decent for under $50.

Thanks so much. The 6-ohm is what's throwing me off since the Sherwood say it's for 8ohm speakers. Excuse my ignorance, but between the mini-amp and the Sherwood which would go louder at a better quality sound?

·
Premium Member
12,842 Posts

Quote:
... between the mini-amp and the Sherwood which would go louder at a better quality sound?
The Sherwood is more expensive, but is rated at five times the power per channel vs. the Lepai. Although both should sound pretty comparable at lower volume levels, the Sherwood might sound cleaner at louder levels. Personally, I'd take the Sherwood for the extra power and connectivity, and for the tuner.

·
Registered
29,058 Posts
6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers are easy to drive by pretty much any AV or stereo receiver.

The Sherwood will also have a remote so you can control the volume. Plus you can add another set of speakers.

I would not get the Lepai for outdoor use, not enough clean power. When you're outside you'll have a lot of noise from parties, picnic, kids, traffic, lawn mowers, etc. The Lepai wont get loud enough to drown out the outside noises

I own two Lepai amps and they're great for a computer room, office, etc. It'll distort once you get past the halfway point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts