AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home theater is quickly expanding and I may soon be outgrowing my receiver. Currently I have a Sony STR-DG510 that I have my PS3, DBS HD receiver and PC connected to. I am looking to install a couple more components and I see a couple of issues that I will have to tackle:

1) Lack of digital audio inputs. I am already using the 2 optical inputs and the digital coaxial input. I need a receiver with AT LEAST 3 optical in and at least 1 digital coax in.

2) Lack of video inputs. Currently my HD receiver and my PS3 are connected via component to the stereo receiver, using up both component inputs. One component I am looking at adding is an HD-DVD player. I would like to be able to run all of the video through the receiver, so I would need a receiver with at least 3 component inputs, or 2 component inputs and 1 HDMI

2a) However that brings me to another question. If I want to connect multiple components through different types of connections (ie. component and HDMI), would I be able to output them through a single connection (ie. everything out over HDMI)? My goal is simplicity and I would like the receiver to handle ALL of the audio and video switching so that I don't have to use two remotes to change between video sources.

The one receiver that I have been looking at is the Sony STR-DG710. Would anybody recommend this unit? Is there something else that I might want to consider with similar features?

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think any of the new HK or Onkyo AVRs will do what you need.

regardless, you should look at a harmony remote to simplify your set-up.

no need to spend $300... the $100 entry level harmony 550 will do everything you would want.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll look into those.

I'm already thinking about a Harmony, I can see myself buying one in the very near future.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz83 /forum/post/0

2a) However that brings me to another question. If I want to connect multiple components through different types of connections (ie. component and HDMI), would I be able to output them through a single connection (ie. everything out over HDMI)? My goal is simplicity and I would like the receiver to handle ALL of the audio and video switching so that I don't have to use two remotes to change between video sources.

The one receiver that I have been looking at is the Sony STR-DG710. Would anybody recommend this unit? Is there something else that I might want to consider with similar features?

For the end game you describe, and assuming you want to achieve it with a Sony AVR, you need to either wait for the STR-DG910 or get the STR-DG1000 now. I own the DG1000 and comparing the two user manuals, the DG1000 looks like a better deal IMO.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schteevie /forum/post/0

I think any of the new HK or Onkyo AVRs will do what you need.

regardless, you should look at a harmony remote to simplify your set-up.

no need to spend $300... the $100 entry level harmony 550 will do everything you would want.

You can get a refurbed 880 for ~100 if you look around.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 /forum/post/0

For the end game you describe, and assuming you want to achieve it with a Sony AVR, you need to either wait for the STR-DG910 or get the STR-DG1000 now. I own the DG1000 and comparing the two user manuals, the DG1000 looks like a better deal IMO.

Also IIRC the STR-DG1000 is built to true Sony ES standards but again I am no expert

you could also check out new/used/refub Marantz 4001 or 8001 THX

or Onkyo 604 674 or wait for the 605 just my $.02

and ofcoarse all of this depends on what you like what you think will work best for you and last but not least your budget

FWIW I do own the Onkyo 604 and it does what I need it to do so I'm happy with it

I also own Marantz 8001THX and again it also does what I need it to do in a much bigger way

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherthought420 /forum/post/0

Also IIRC the STR-DG1000 is built to true Sony ES standards but again I am no expert

Outside North America I believe it's designated as STR-DA1200ES.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the answers, it's appreciated. The one thing I am still trying to figure out is whether or not I will be able to support outputting everything through one type of connection, be it either HDMI or component (preferably HDMI). Right now I have a PS3, HD DVD player and HD satellite receiver. The PS3 and HD DVD player both have HDMI out, but the satellite receiver does not. I'd like to have only one output to minimize source switching (or is that something that Harmony will take care of).

I looked at the STR-DG900 on the Sony site and the description says that it has an HDMI repeater. Will that receiver do what I am looking for?

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Str-DG1000 can pass (almost) every video format hooked up to it through it's HDMI output. The one exception is 1080p over component. I have one brand new, arrived yesterday. I've got my DirecTV HR20 using one HDMI input and a Toshiba HD-A2 using the other. The 1000 seems so far to be decoding any audio signals it gets over those HDMI cables. I have one HDMI cable going from the STR-DG1000 to my Samsung 4095 1080p LCD and an optical audio cable from the TV back to the DG1000. That's it.

Other devices I have feeding A/V into the DG1000 include:

JVC SVHS deck using Svideo.

GoVideo 8mm/VHS deck using composite RCA.

Pansonic DVD recorder using component.

Pioneer 12-disk CD changer using RCA L/R audio.

Every input video source I have plugged in is converted (to digital) and sent out the HDMI output to the TV. the DG1000 decodes whatever audio it gets from the relative input.

I did considerable research before buying the STR-DG1000 to replace my old sony receiver that wouldn't decode anything but prologic from my Toshiba HD-DVD deck. Very happy. It does have 7.1 speakers outputs (L,R,C,SL,SR,SLB,SRB,Sub), and an additional pair for it's Zone-2. I "may" be using zone-2 to amp my passive subwoofer.

The manual is a bit confusing and downright wrong in a few places. The on-screen menu is cheesy looking but great to have, and shows up over HDMI as well as all of it's other monitor outputs.

I'm using a Harmony 880 remote and it was a breeze to add the new DG1000 to it. I had to tell the software to add the HDMI inputs, but it didn't even ask for the IR codes for those. All inputs are accessed discretely.

In all, I'm very happy with the STR-DG1000. Strongly recomended.

4DThinker

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that's a huge help. I can't seem to find enough information on the STR-DG900 to tell whether it has that same feature. Maybe a trip into the Sony store will clear that up. Although it seems that the 900 series can be hard to find anywhere online, so maybe an STR-DG1000 would be a better solution. It would be nice to have three HDMI ports to choose from, but not a big deal I guess.

The STR-DG1000 will pass 1080p over HDMI I'm guessing? I have a 720p set right now, but if I ever upgrade, which I assume I will, it would SUCK to switch receivers again.

It looks like I will use the PS3 and the HD-A2 over HDMI, and have my satellite receiver and computer over component.

How assignable are the audio inputs? It would be cool to have the flexibility to tie any audio input to any video input so that I can connect things however I want.

I am going to be using a Harmony 880 as well, but I would like to have things simplified to the point that there will still be as little switching as required.

Also FWIW, I've tried a passive woofer on the B outputs of my STR-DG510. It was not good, I basically got no power out of it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, the dg1000 will pass 1080p though the HDMI ports. It won't pass 1080p from component through the HDMI port, though. It will pass 1080i from component through HDMI.

Audio inputs are assignable, but not all to anything. For example I couldn't assign an optical audio input to any HDMI input. If you can find a large rear panel picture online it will show "assignable" labels by the inputs that are assignable. The manual, which is available online, shows the rear panel as well.

Yep, I suspect using a spare speaker output to power the sub won't work because the receiver limits the low range going to speakers that aren't subs. The 1000 has a second Zone, though, that is essentially a spare stand-alone stereo amplifier INSIDE the 1000. My sub already has a high-pass filter, so if it could simply get the entire LF output from the SUB pre-out and pass it straight through to zone-2, then I "might" hear something from that sub hooked up to a zone-2 speaker output. I'm gonna try it today. I'll let you know if it works.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had one more question that I forgot about. What is the purpose of the optical cable from your TV to receiver? Something to do with the HDMI audio?

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
My advice, is to drop both Onkyo and Sony, and go with the Denon 4306. A very powerful receiver, and it does everything you are asking, plus the remote is decent. Here is a link to the receiver's specs:

denon 4306

Plus, the receiver's sound is excellent and is noted as sounding superior to Yamaha, Sony, or Onkyo. Audioholics gave it a "highly recommended" in a review. The receiver also upconverts all analog signals (even a VCR) to 720p or 1080i as well as does all your video switching and supports 1080p. In addition, if you ever get a Denon DVD player, you can use the Denon 3rd link for all your digital needs. There's a whole lot more to this receiver, and it can be considered a relatively future proofed receiver. If you are interested in one, PM and I'll let you know where to go for a fantastic price.

To answer your question, the optical output from your TV is if you pull in HD signals from an antenna. The digital signal will also contain a Dolby 5.1 audio signal on some programming. Since it is unlikely you have a 5.1 analog output on your TV, this is the only way to feed that 5.1 information to your receiver or processor. However, you have to have a HD tuner (which sound likely that you do) built into the TV.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHurtz83 /forum/post/0

I had one more question that I forgot about. What is the purpose of the optical cable from your TV to receiver? Something to do with the HDMI audio?

My TV has an NTSC/ATSC tuner, and when watching Over-The-Air shows their audio signal needs a path to get to the receiver. I don't use the TV's speakers at all. I get my locals OTA, not from DirecTV. The HR20 can decode, record, and pass through OTA digital channels, but not NTSC. In bad weather my HR20 craps out and I can still watch locals using the TV's tuner directly. I've got a big antenna in my attic that pulls several stations from a city about 40 miles away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts