AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of British shows (Outnumbered, the Marchlands, etc) I would like to like to buy DVD sets of but I understand they will not play in the USA. There are a number of Pioneer models for sale on eBay and I was wondering if any one particular model stood out? I have had a regular Pioneer player for years now and would like to stay with that brand.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ones advertised on eBay claim PAL/NTSC playback on all TVs so I am assuming they do conversion on the fly. I was hoping to get personal feedback if anyone uses them. The 420VK model appears a good bet but I read somewhere you needed to use modified software. I am looking for something I can take out of the box, pop a disc in and kick back and enjoy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbook /forum/post/0

The ones advertised on eBay claim PAL/NTSC playback on all TVs so I am assuming they do conversion on the fly. I was hoping to get personal feedback if anyone uses them. The 420VK model appears a good bet but I read somewhere you needed to use modified software. I am looking for something I can take out of the box, pop a disc in and kick back and enjoy.

Thanks.

Look for a used Oppo DVD player then. They can be made region free by entering a number sequence on the remote. The sequence can be found in the first post of their respective threads. They also have great support and have a flat rate repair for their players. Models are 970, 971, 980, 983.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moxie, thanks for the info. I was not familiar with Oppo as I am coming from the "if its sold at Best Buy it must be awesome" mentality.

I can see I still have a lot to learn and thanks for letting me know about them. Their older models really got great online reviews so maybe I can find one still in good condition. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbook /forum/post/20863820

I am looking for something I can take out of the box, pop a disc in and kick back and enjoy.

Almost all (if not all) region free DVD players need a region code hack implemented (most of the time just a few button presses on the remote.) Unless you find one with the hack already in place.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 /forum/post/20869538

Look for a used Oppo DVD player then. They can be made region free by entering a number sequence on the remote. The sequence can be found in the first post of their respective threads. They also have great support and have a flat rate repair for their players. Models are 970, 971, 980, 983.

This. Love my 971 and 980. Next Blu-ray player will be an Oppo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.