AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Not long ago i built a sonosub to house a 12" Assassin, The design was as foloows: 16" sonotube 60" long with a 6" port 23" long tuned to 21hz. 6.8cft internal volume powered by a P.E 240 watt plate amp. I have since built 2 more sonosubs using the 2 12" Assassin's that i had using 18" sonotube 48" long with a 6" port 23" long. Hence needing a replacement i can't find another 12" Assassin so i need some ideas from all of you. What 12" sub can i use in a 6.8 cft tuned to 21hz sonosub. Would like to keep it under 125$. Thank You all in advance.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Off the top of my head, the usual suspects in that price range are PE's DVC12 or RS-12HF and the TC Sounds db500-12. However, looking at how they model in 6.8 ft^3 tuned to 21hz, you need to lower the tuning frequency or decrease the volume, IMO.

With that much volume, a 15" such as PE's DVC15 or RS15-HO should also be considered, although you still need to lower the tuning a bit for the HO.

-Brent

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I would have to rule out doing a 15". Would pretty much prefer not to have to alter the tube at all. At best all i wanted to have to do is maybe enlarge the subwoofers opening. what about the Ed Ehqs 12" - $25 would this one model well in the prebuilt enclosure? Would anyone have a clue as to where i could get another 12" Assassin ? When i check their website they give no contact information and i was stupid and didn't save my invoices..............

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The problem with the ED is it exceeds its 9mm Xmax from 23 - 50hz with 240 watts in that box. If you can keep the throttle down to 100 watts, it's actually pretty decent...104db @ 20hz, [email protected], and [email protected], rising to 108.5 @ 100hz. SPL is 1m ground plane, room boundaries can easily give you another 6-10db or even more, depending on room size and sub placement.

Enlarging the driver opening to account for different size 12" drivers should be no more work that enlarging it for a 15" driver. You could just as easily find a different 12" might need a smaller cutout than the Assassin. The tuning is determined by the volume of the box in relation to the port diameter/length. It has nothing to do with the driver. With a cylinder sub, I can't imagine what else you'd need to change unless you put the port in the same face as the driver.

A DVC15 with 240 watts is loafing in this box. Using less of a driver's Xmax usually means you'll get less distortion/better sound quality. The model shows 108db @ 20hz, 112.4 @ 30hz, and 113.7 @ 40, again 1m ground plane only using at most 11mm of the DVC15's 15-16mm Xmax.

None of the other drivers model really badly. However, they can yield much flatter responses if the cabinet volume or tuning is modified somewhat...6.8 is a lot of air for a single 12". Unfortunately, I don't have the parameters for an Assassin 12 so I can't compare the models to what you're used to. You've actually got enough volume to use two of either the DVC12, RS12-HF, or db500-12 with great results, but you'd need a different amp than the SA240.

-Brent

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what would i need to do to use 2 db-500's ? I really just wanted to use the enclosure that i have. The reason i don't want to modify the tube for a 15" is the legs. there are pictures here.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
eBay might have one from time to time. There were four on there a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Is there not 15" between the legs? An 18" cylinder should have 3" of play on the perimeter.

Regarding dual db500s...I wasn't thinking all the way through. You'd have to put one in each end plate, but that's not going to work with a 6" port and a 12" driver. You'd need to downsize to two 4"x 19.6" ports, one in each face. Don't forget you'd also need a different amp...the SA240 won't drive 2 ohms (drivers in parallel) and you'll only get about 50-60 watts per driver if you wire them series for 8 ohm or about the same output as one db500 with 240 watts.

-Brent

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ok, finally dug up the T/S parms for the Assassin 12 so I could compare its model to the replacement candidates. BTW, WinISD says your tuning frequency is 20.18, not 21hz.

Of the drivers listed, the PE DVC12 most closely resembles the response curve of the Assassin. Not surprising since AA said it was a drop in replacement for the Shiva and the DVC12 is a virtual clone of the Shiva. The DVC12 is a little flatter from 20-50hz with virtually identical SPL...+/- about 0.5 db depending on frequency.

Interestingly, the Rythmik DS12TC is also a decent match, but costs $210.

If you have any room gain at all, the RS12-HiFi and db500 will probably sound a little one notish. They're showing nearly 2 db peaks at tuning. Not that the Assassin/DVC12/Rythmik are much better with -2/-0.5/-0.7 response at 20 themselves. I would personally never design a sub to be that flat without room gain accounted for. In my dedicated theater room, I get 6-10db of gain at 20hz so one of these subs in my room would have an 6-12db peak at 20hz, relative to the rest of the spectrum. My DVC15 models to -7db @ 20hz and measures essentially flat to 10hz in room. YMMV.

Output wise, with your 240 watt amp, they're all pretty much a wash except the 15" drivers. The db500 and RS12HF have maybe 1-3db less output above 30hz than the DVC12/Assassin/Rythmik...nothing to lose sleep over.

Edit: Just noticed the DVC12 is still on sale for $88, not sure how much longer the sell lasts. Same 11" cutout as the Assassin.

-Brent

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
DVC12 is dual 8 ohm. Connect amp positive to both driver + posts and negitive to both - posts. Any way you arrive at that arrangement is fine.

I would probably splice two wires together and attach the spliced end to the external binding posts and attach each of the free ends to the appropriate driver connection.

You could also do a jumper from + to + and - to - using your existing wiring (minus the female quick connect) if the wire opening on the DVCs is large enough.

-Brent

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf /forum/post/0

Interestingly, the Rythmik DS12TC is also a decent match, but costs $210.

That price is for a servo version (actually I don't sell those servo drivers separately because they are meant to be used in servo kits only). But I do have some nonservo version of the same driver, and their price is $150. It basically is the same driver as DS12TC, but without sensing coil. Send me email if anyone is interested.

Brian

Rythmik Audio

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg1161 /forum/post/0

And i wouldn't have to change anything to the sonosub enclosure ?

Assuming you liked the Assassin in that alignment, then no, you shouldn't have to modify anything structurally to drop in a DVC12 except maybe drilling new mounting holes...even though the driver cutout is the same, doesn't mean the mounting holes are the same distance apart.

-Brent

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You Riverwolf, I checked it out at the P.E. site and i think that is the way i'll go as for the design for this sub i thank Steve Callas it work excellent but as most would guess there is that WAF thing so we compromised and went with dual 18" Sonosubs same design.

Again Thank You

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg1161 /forum/post/0

And i wouldn't have to change anything to the sonosub enclosure ?

Obviously that depends on how you designed the cutout for the driver and what size it is.

There's is no industry standard, as a result 12" driver frames vary in size.

So do not assume the DVC12" or any other driver will fit your existing cutout.

If you have a simple cutout for surface mounting it's not a big deal to modify that. If you created a design with the driver rebased, the amount of work increases greatly even if the new driver is only slightly larger.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry old post but would like to let everyone know that the PE's DVC12 was a great choice as a drop in for the Assassin 12". Everything fit perfectley and all screw holes lined up. I actually think it sounds alittle better than the Assassin ? Anyway I will keep this subwoofer in the back of my mind as my friend bought the DVC 12" and now it and the sonosub will be heading to his house and the wife will be much happier that yet another monster is heading out...............................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.