AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's been a good soldier, but recently, with the volume up fairly loud, the center channel speaker sounds like it "clips". I was using the internal amp on the processor, but switched over to powering the center channel with another amp (but still routing the signal thru the DSP-E492). Same thing, it still clips.

It's a BIC DV-62CLRS.

Anyway, any thoughts on what I could replace this processor with? Hate to give up my M-80, C-80, T-80, etc. I just can't seem to find any "stand alone" processors.........everything is a receiver now-a-days.

Hope this pic works. This is my system, except the DVD player has been replaced with a PS3.

vmax84

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax84 /forum/post/18199594

She's been a good soldier, but recently, with the volume up fairly loud, the center channel speaker sounds like it "clips". I was using the internal amp on the processor, but switched over to powering the center channel with another amp (but still routing the signal thru the DSP-E492). Same thing, it still clips.

It's a BIC DV-62CLRS.

Anyway, any thoughts on what I could replace this processor with? Hate to give up my M-80, C-80, T-80, etc. I just can't seem to find any "stand alone" processors.........everything is a receiver now-a-days.

Yamaha's closest replacement to your DSP-E492 is probably the RX-V665 or (very similar) HTR-6260 receivers; they feature 'mid range' processors with 'low end' on-board amps, and would allow for the use of 5 to 7 channels of your existing amps (depending on several other factors). These models are 'past due' for replacement by 'equivalent models' in Yamaha's 2010 AVR range (featuring HDMI 1.4?) which was expected to be announced in Jan.2010, but is now expected 'sometime before' Sept.2010.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. So what you're saying is that I can pick up a receiver, use it's processing ability, but use my beloved M-80 yet to power the main speakers?

Thanks again.

vmax84

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess when it gets right down to it, all I need is "something" to run the rear speakers, since I use the M-80 to power my front speaker and a separate Yamaha receiver to power the center speaker (using the Yamaha receiver as the "amp" rather than the amp in the DSP-E492).

vmax84

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax84 /forum/post/18199787

Thank you for the reply. So what you're saying is that I can pick up a receiver, use it's processing ability, but use my beloved M-80 yet to power the main speakers?

Thanks again.

vmax84

The RX-V665 and 'higher' models feature pre-out terminals for connection to external power amps [lesser models can also be used with external power amps but there are either 'restrictions on connections' or 'additional accessories required' to make it work]. See PRE-OUT - FRONT - L and R terminals. You will still be able to use 5 channels of the RX-V665's on-board power amps for (1) center and (2) surround channels, plus [optionally] either (2) rear or (2) presence channels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I like about my old M-80 is that I know it's an AMP..........it's got some kick to it, even after all these years (I bought it new way back in 1984 when I was stationed over in Germany).

I feel you have to spend quite a bit of money in order to get a receiver that has robust amps anywhere near what my M-80 has, and I just don't want to spend all that money when I have enough old dog amps sitting around that will work.

vmax84 is:

an "old yamaha snowmobile"................I just like the old stuff!!!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax84 /forum/post/18199923

What I like about my old M-80 is that I know it's an AMP..........it's got some kick to it, even after all these years . . .
I know just what you mean: I bought four Yamaha AST-A10 stereo power amps and two Yamaha M-35 2x40W/4x20W surround amps in the late '80s to drive two surround systems, and, although the original [Yamaha] processors are now gone, the amps continue to perform flawlessly!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So nobody knows of any newer external processors to replace my DSP-E492? Reciever sounds like it would work, but no "stand alone" type processors?

vmax84

1 - 9 of 9 Posts