AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know that this has probably been hashed, and re-hashed a hundred times, but I'm looking to put together a short list (5-8) $750 receivers (give or take 2 bills) for a good friend of mine. I already check out some of the older threads and have a starting point. He called me today from Sam's standing in front of one of those Bose package deals, plus a Pioneer receiver (not sure which model), and it was listed for $1000. I convinced him that this is not the optimal way to go, and that he should consider building up a quality system by starting out with some good front l/r's and a good A/V receiver. I think I have a pretty good idea on speakers, but need some help on the receiver side.

His overall budget is about $2000, and remember he is just looking to start with 2 speakers, not a full surround system, so this allows for some flexibility with price for a receiver. I was looking at accessories4less.com, and they have factory refurbished Marantz receivers for incredible prices. Harmon Kardon's site also has some good stuff factory refurbished. Does anyone have any experience with the factory refurbished units? Also, are there any sites out there that sell authorized factory refurbished Denon, Pioneer, Sony, etc. I'm thinking this is just one option to help keep costs in check. I need a list of receivers for him to audition and check out. Reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies, and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Elite 45TX

H/K 525

Sony 4ES

Denon 3803

There are others, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that are within the upper limit of $950 from authorized dealers. Some, like the 4ES are much less expensive than others like the 45 and 3803 which will be toward the upper limit.

Sorny

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a Marantz 7300ose special edition receiver from accessories4less for the first time and I have not installed it yet. Monday is the install day and until then I will let you know. They have a 30 day return policy for about 10% of stocking cost if you are not happy. I saw a few 7300's refurbished for about $650.

anthony landry

·
Registered
126 Posts
My initial reaction is that $2K for a receiver and mains buys a pretty good sounding start to a HT setup, even at full msrp. If that were my budget, I'd skip the refurbed route and just go with new equipment. That way you know the receiver's full history, and you can take good care of it from day one. I assume it has higher resale value too.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthony landry
I just purchased a Marantz 7300ose special edition receiver from accessories4less for the first time and I have not installed it yet. Monday is the install day and until then I will let you know. They have a 30 day return policy for about 10% of stocking cost if you are not happy. I saw a few 7300's refurbished for about $650.

anthony landry
Anthony,

Please post your feelings about the 7300ose.

thanks,

curtis

·
Registered
807 Posts
Onkyo TX-SR800. I'm happy with mine. Solid receiver, sounds good, has almost every feature one can think off, THX certified, and from what I've seen has good reliability. Paid $678 for it not long ago (from an authorized mailorder reseller).

Good luck with your decison! I know it ain't easy, just too many choices out there...

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is great guys, I think I have a good start to my list. Although, I might have a tough time getting him to bite on a 45tx, 3803, or similar if we cannot find a heck of a deal on one. And, Gai Pan, you bring up a good point about the refurbed route, but I don't think I'll totally discard the idea right now. I'm in the discovery phase for putting this thing together. I really apprecaiate your posts, and keep them coming if anyone has anything else to add.

Thanks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I actually would go the refurb route for 2 reasons. First is obviously cost is going to be cheaper. Second is that it has been checked twice from the factory, also some companies like H/K will give the full new warranty on thier refurb units. All that being said I have a 525 and love it, though all the units mentioned seemed to be loved by thier owners.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bighitter
...though all the units mentioned seemed to be loved by thier owners.
Yeah, I hear that. I bought a 45tx, and naturally think it's the best thing since sliced bread, even though I don't know what the hell all the options are on it yet. I think I could've fallen in love with any receiver in that same price category. You bring up a good point on the refurbs as well, with the factory warranties. That may be a very good value for my friend's money. I like spending other people's money...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.