AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I want to start out that I currently have some LARGE floor standing speakers with 15" woofers that produce great bass to 30hz but anything below that I am missing and I don't get that "feeling" of the bass. I have been to my brother in laws house and watched Toy Story recently and when Buzz light year uses his jetpack and lands its just amazing to say the least. I didn't know you could get that kind of experience without going to a theater. It was clear, punchy and not distorted at all. He is using Monitor 9's for his floor standing speakers and I am not sure exactly what sub he is using other than it is a 250w sub.

I am looking to get that same type of bass experience for movies and I just ran into an extra $600 to spend on a sub. My room in the new house has 10' ceilings, the room is about 14'x14' but it is open to the kitchen.

Currently I only have an older 8" "The Speaker Company" sub. This allows me to hear the lower notes but in my current home with 18' tall ceilings and very open, maybe 7000 cubic feet it just doesn't cut the mustard now that I know what I could be experiencing.

Any suggestions for my price point? I always hear good reviews on the PB2000 but didn't know if there was something better for my space/budget.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Your room is medium size at 1960 cu. ft., but since it is open to the kitchen, that will take you into large room territory. That means a $600 subwoofer may not be quite enough. I'd be looking into a bigger, more powerful sub. Be that as it may, take a look at the following solid subs in your price range:

$639 Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 (check on shipping charge): http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

$569 Rythmik Audio LV12R (free shipping): http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. My brother in laws room is much bigger with vaulted ceilings and he texted me and let me know he has a Boston Acoustics HPS 10HO. Not sure where that rates with the ones you guys have suggested, but it may give you an idea what I thought sounded and felt great. His room is 22x18 and then its open to his kitchen and dining room along with his a hallway.

Along the same lines... My new place is a ranch and has access from below, so I was wondering would it benefit me to run cables below the floor and into the wall cavity in a place where I could place my current 8" sub? IE: I was wondering if I would get good results by keeping the larger sub that I purchase up front by the screen wall and then one further back by the seating? Or should I just invest in a big 500w sub?

My 8" 200w sub worked great in my last 12x12 room (bedroom), but it was closed in and ceilings were only 9'.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The two subs I mentioned should beat the Boston Acoustics handily.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Alaska so the shipping would kill me. They want $120 from outlaw on top the of sub price, same with Rhythmik... That's getting well over my budget. SVS say the do free shipping, but I imagine Alaska doesn't count. Any other ones that wont break my bank?

SB2000 from amazon says free shipping, but its still $699, which is $99 over my budget I wanted to spend. May be the closest I can get to my budget for performance?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I understand budgets, but...
Gonna let $99 stand in the way of decent quality sound, especially when you live in Alaska with ridiculous shipping charges?

You want cheapo crap because it fits the " budget"?
How does that work when you find out it's lousy?

IMHO, I'd Put that sub in the cart, and see if they charge for shipping to your locale, then go from there.

You'll find something good, but I wouldn't skimp on quality for $100... some folks bought the Cherry JBL on Amazon for a lot less(must be trying to move the cherry color- it's usually a lot more expensive), I have no idea how it stacks up to the SVS.

GL

m

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Well, that is a bummer :(. While the SVS SB2000 is a good subwoofer, you would be better off with its ported brother, but that's another hundred bucks. If SVS also has free return shipping (check with them), order the SB-2000 to see if it fills your needs. If not, return it and go with its ported brother, or bite the bullet and get the Outlaw or Rythmik.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the guidance. Just because I don't know enough about current subs and how they perform/sound.... I am able to listen to this sub here in town and it sounded ok to my ears....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/definit...lack/2715497.p?id=1218346634871&skuId=2715497

Would the SVS SB2000 be a better purchase than that? I guess I can swing $700 tops on a sub.

Also, how does the PA-150 stack up? That seems to be in my budget.

Ok, I must have did something wrong.... If I bump my budget to $700 I can get the Outlaw or Rhythmik.

1 Ultra-X12 Subwoofer 12 inch 350 Watt Powered Subwoofer $ 639.00

Subtotal 1 Item : $ 639.00

Ground Shipping : $ 62.66

Total Order Amount : $ 701.66

OR

Postal parcel shipping to Alaska 120.00 120.00
LV12R ported sub black oak with 300WRMS amp(48 US continental states only) 569.00 569.00
All prices are in US Dollars Subtotal 689.00
Shipping 0.00
Tax 0.00
TOTAL 689.00

Which one would be better, we are talking just a few dollars. Want to make sure I make the right choice and don't have to order another one.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The Rythmik and Outlaw are very comparable, so it's your choice. Both are very good subs and both will beat the Def Tech and the SB-2000 (certainly in your room volume). Read each website carefully, then call them and ask questions to get a good feel of the company. Check the sizes, weights and warranties.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, talked to a few companies and I am torn... I was on hold forever with SVS and never got through. My wife likes the PC-2000 design as its more "aesthetically" pleasing. Is the PC-2000 by SVS a viable option for my room size?

I am attaching a floor layout as I know sometimes the size and shape of the room determines how effect the sub is. The wall between the kitchen and living room is a bar area, doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ Indeed it is!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.