22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm looking for a subwoofer to go with the following setup:

Denon 1611 receiver

Polk monitor50 front

Cs1 center

Monitor 30 rear

Someone on the forum recommended the Bic F-12 or PL-200, but after checking the dimensions, it will be too big for my space.

I'm looking for something thinner in the 200-300 range.

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Exactly how thin? There may be a few subs thinner than the two you mentioned, but probably not by much.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Emotiva Ultra 10. 12 1/2" X 12 1/2" X 13 1/2".

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs90201
I am considering the Energy ESW-M6 for a small space. Perhaps it would suit your needs?

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-ESW-M6-.../dp/B001RQ1R8U
The Energy only goes down to 42Hz. That's not very low. For about the same price, the Emotiva outdoes it by a wide margin.

Emotiva Ultra 10:

Power Output: 200 watts RMS, 300 watts peak

Typical In‐Room Frequency Response: 25Hz‐200Hz

Typical In‐Room SPL: 107‐110db

Nominal input sensitivity:

Balanced Input: 1V

Unbalanced Input: 500 mv.

Phase Adjustment: 0 - 180 degrees @50Hz

Low pass Crossover: 50-150Hz variable, 24db per octave

Dimensions:

Unboxed: 12.5” wide x 12.5” high x 13.5” deep

Boxed: 21" wide x 21" high x 20" deep

Energy M6:

System Type Single active, dual passive

Frequency Response 42Hz-200Hz

Amplifier Power Output 800 Watts

Woofer Active: 6.5-inch (16.5 cm) Black anodized aluminum cone with inverted Ribbed Elliptical Surround

Passive: 2 x 6.5-inch (16.5 cm) Black anodized aluminum cones with inverted Ribbed Elliptical Surround

Variable Low Pass Filter 50Hz-200Hz, bypass

Variable Phase Control 0° - 360°

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've had an Emotiva Ultra10 since not long after it came out and I love it - it won't knock your socks off or do "theater quality" at high volume, but it's quite a performer for the price and livably small as well. In my smallish room with lowish ceilings, I measure the -3db roll-off to be somewhere around 20-22Hz.

They have a good return policy as well if you're pretty sure you want it but aren't 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Unless you're extremely space restricted, I'd pass on the Energy ESW-M6.

I had one for a brief period... I was looking for a tiny sub for my office for music only, and I found a coupon code to get it for $199 shipped, so I gave it a shot...

It has more mid bass output than I'd expect for something that tiny... but it has nothing down low. Tom Noussaine measured it (actually the Mirage MM6, but it's the same sub) for Sound and Vision mag, and it peaks at 62Hz and falls off from there.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/con...speaker-system

Plus, while SQ wasn't bad, it wasn't a tight sounding as I wanted, so I sold it.

I decided I didn't have to have a micro sub for my office, since a micro sub wasn't going to give me what I wanted.

I tried a couple other small subs, and found I easily preferred both the Pioneer SW-8 and Final Sound S95 when it comes SQ - both sounded tighter/cleaner (I'd say the Pioneer was the best SQ, but just a bit better than the S95)...

I stuck with the S95 since it had more output, SQ was comparable, and I got it for $89 shipped from Outlaw.

Go for the Emotiva Ultra-10. I would have if I had more money to burn on a sub for PC music.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. It seems like I may not be able to place any sized sub where I originally wanted to (next one of the front speakers). My speakers and tv stand take up too much room. I think I will go with the BIC F12, but want to make sure of the placement.

I drew a quick diagram of my room setup. The speakers are the red squares, and the red X shows the only place that i can put the subwoofer without it being in the way of the door or living space. Would this placement affect the performance of the sub?

Thanks again everyone.

[/URL]

·
Registered
721 Posts
Basically the worst place you can put a sub is anywhere NOT against a wall. Why can't you put it in the bottom right corner of the room you just posted?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wall ends right there on the bottom right corner, it opens into a hallway and dining room. I can put it against the wall where i marked the X, but will it matter if its pointed directly across the room and not at the viewer? thanks

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The sub doesn't have to be pointed at the viewer. Bass waves don't work that way. But placement does affect the sound in other ways.

Is the red X the only option in the entire room?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You might try the crawl test, first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts