AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to these forums and was recommended here by some people over at Hardforums and Anandtech.

My wife and I just purchased a condo this past August and we have decided that with our tax return money we would purchase a new TV. I had been to many of my local electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) and narrowed my search down to these TVs.

Westinghouse 47" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor - Silver/Black

Model: LVM-47W1

Sony BRAVIA 46" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Model: KDL46XBR2

Sony BRAVIA XBR 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Model: KDL40XBR2

Samsung 40" 1080p LCD HDTV

Model: LN-S4095D

Sharp AQUOS 46" 1080p LCD HDTV

Model: LC46D62U

We came to the conclusion that the Sony Bravia KDL40XBR2 40" LCD TV had the best picture and the glass bezel really put it over the top compared to the other TVs. Not that it matters or anything but we already had a Sony Home Theater system (DAV-FR1) so atleast the TV will match the surround system.

From there we designed our living room with the TV in mind and picked out furniture that would best suited. We hired a home decorator to help us out as well.

This is the floor plan design

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...LivingRoom.jpg

This is how it currently looks. Our furniture has arrived but our custom made area carpet is not. So we are just waiting on that before we have the furniture delivered. As you can see we have a 30" Sony CRT HDTV that does 720p/1080i, etc but it really takes up a lot of space. With the addition of the LCD we can wall mount it and free up some more space.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_1922.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_1926.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_1925.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_1923.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_1924.jpg

Excuse the mess but we just moved the old stuff out and our electrician is coming on Wednesday. We need to move the cable outlet from the one wall to the larger wall. The people we had bought the condo from had a Samsung LCD (not sure on the size) wall mounted on the opposite wall. We decided to put it against the longer wall.

Here was their setup:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_0937.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_0410.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_0409.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_0411.jpg

One of my concerns was the size of the wall and location of the love seat and sofa. I thought that maybe the 40" would look very tiny on such a large wall but did some research and people said with the glass bezel it actually made the TV look like it was 46" so that seems to be about the perfect size.

Now that you heard my background I stumpled upon the issues with the XBR2/XBR3 TVs - uneven backlighting and the cloudiness on the dark screens. Is there anything out there that is better then the Sony XBR series TVs? I listed a few earlier that I was interested in but I decided on the Sony instead. Is there anything coming out in the near future (next 2 months) that is wowing people?

When we purchase the TV we are also going to have it professionally installed as well. I had stopped by Magnolia and Circuit City's Firedog and got their quotes as well as doing it online with Crutchfield. It seems that it is going to cost about $800 to have the TV wall mounted, the 5.1 speaker system hooked up and all the wires hidden. Once the TV is wall mounted we wanted to have a little piece of furniture below the TV so that the Wii, cablebox and home theater system could be stored. Similar to what the previous owners had here:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...t/IMG_0409.jpg

and similar to this (from Magnolia's website...sorry it is so small but it was all I could find)
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...nstallroom.jpg

Can anybody recommend a piece of furniture as well as a place to purchase it.

Sorry for all the questions but this is going to be a pretty big purchase and is the centerpiece to our living room. It is basically the first thing you will see when you come up the stairs and we would like for it to wow people. I am a n00b so please be gentle.

Thanks!!

· Registered
2,477 Posts
Have you considered JVC? They have four 1080p displays a 40 and 46" FN96 and 40" & 46" FH97. These sets display 1080p but accept 1080i. They properly deinterlace and scale. Ultimate TV Mag wrote "With the possible exception of the newest 1080p plasmas just starting to appear- and currently going for twice the price of comparably sized LCDs- the JVC LT-46FN97 is as impressive a flat panel display as I've seen. " Here is the full review:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...t46/index.html

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo /forum/post/0

Have you considered JVC? They have four 1080p displays a 40 and 46" FN96 and 40" & 46" FH97. These sets display 1080p but accept 1080i. They properly deinterlace and scale. Ultimate TV Mag wrote "With the possible exception of the newest 1080p plasmas just starting to appear- and currently going for twice the price of comparably sized LCDs- the JVC LT-46FN97 is as impressive a flat panel display as I've seen. " Here is the full review:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...t46/index.html

How would you compare the LT-46FN97 to any of the TVs that I listed more importantly to the lesser priced Westinghouse?

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm sorry I am not familiar with the Sharp or Westinghouse sets - other than what is posted on this forum.

Samsung, Sony and JVC all use the same Samsung panel. The difference being that JVC uses a different backlight than the other two manufacturers. The only other comparison I can offer is that JVC owners have not experienced the cloud issue the Sony and Samsung owners have reported.

· Registered
2,010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik /forum/post/0

wow....and somebody recommended me check this place out because it was informative.....not one response yet

It is informative, if you show some manners. I suggest you:

1. Use your real name instead of some obnoxious screen name that mocks a serious affliction.

2. Let us know what city your are from.

3. Don't make us click on a bunch of obnoxious links to see your pictures. Just mount the pictures in the forum with a free service like tinypic.com.

4. Let us know what you plan to DO with the TV. You said that you use a Wii. What type of TV service etc do you have? Plan on using a universal remote?, etc.

Anyway, now that I have scolded you. You have a beautiful home, congratulations. I recommend that your TV be atleast 46". I don't think you'd be happy with that Sony 40".

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chris

1. This screen name is the very same name I keep on ATOT and Hardforums and is also my XBL name. I'd rather keep them all centralized - its easier to remember that way.

2. I am from Middle Island, New York

3. I tried to mount the pictures and got an error message. Do you know the code to input to have the pictures mounted? The pictures are being hosted on photobucket and that is how I mount them on the other forums. Don't know why it doesnt work here.

4. I plan to watch TV on the TV. I have Cablevision and they provide a bunch of HD channels. I also plan to watch the occasional movie on the dvd player I listed in the thread. I will upgrade to a Bluray/HD-DVD player once the prices come down a little. The wii will be highlighted when we have large parties so that everyone can play. I also plan on getting a Logitech Harmony remote in the future but will stick with the Sony remote that came with the home theater as it will control the tv and will also use the remote that is provided by Cablevision.

You recommended a 46" TV....which brand and model would you suggest?

edit...found out the reason why i couldnt post with the pictures
You have included too many images in your signature or in your previous post. Please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the first thread again broken into parts so that the pictures can be included.

Hello. I am new to these forums and was recommended here by some people over at Hardforums and Anandtech.

My wife and I just purchased a condo this past August and we have decided that with our tax return money we would purchase a new TV. I had been to many of my local electronics stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) and narrowed my search down to these TVs.

Westinghouse 47" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor - Silver/Black

Model: LVM-47W1

Sony BRAVIA 46" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Model: KDL46XBR2

Sony BRAVIA XBR 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Model: KDL40XBR2

Samsung 40" 1080p LCD HDTV

Model: LN-S4095D

Sharp AQUOS 46" 1080p LCD HDTV

Model: LC46D62U

We came to the conclusion that the Sony Bravia KDL40XBR2 40" LCD TV had the best picture and the glass bezel really put it over the top compared to the other TVs. Not that it matters or anything but we already had a Sony Home Theater system (DAV-FR1) so atleast the TV will match the surround system.

From there we designed our living room with the TV in mind and picked out furniture that would best suited. We hired a home decorator to help us out as well.

This is the floor plan design

This is how it currently looks. Our furniture has arrived but our custom made area carpet is not. So we are just waiting on that before we have the furniture delivered. As you can see we have a 30" Sony CRT HDTV that does 720p/1080i, etc but it really takes up a lot of space. With the addition of the LCD we can wall mount it and free up some more space.

Excuse the mess but we just moved the old stuff out and our electrician is coming on Wednesday. We need to move the cable outlet from the one wall to the larger wall. The people we had bought the condo from had a Samsung LCD (not sure on the size) wall mounted on the opposite wall. We decided to put it against the longer wall.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here was their setup:

One of my concerns was the size of the wall and location of the love seat and sofa. I thought that maybe the 40" would look very tiny on such a large wall but did some research and people said with the glass bezel it actually made the TV look like it was 46" so that seems to be about the perfect size.

Now that you heard my background I stumpled upon the issues with the XBR2/XBR3 TVs - uneven backlighting and the cloudiness on the dark screens. Is there anything out there that is better then the Sony XBR series TVs? I listed a few earlier that I was interested in but I decided on the Sony instead. Is there anything coming out in the near future (next 2 months) that is wowing people?

When we purchase the TV we are also going to have it professionally installed as well. I had stopped by Magnolia and Circuit City's Firedog and got their quotes as well as doing it online with Crutchfield. It seems that it is going to cost about $800 to have the TV wall mounted, the 5.1 speaker system hooked up and all the wires hidden. Once the TV is wall mounted we wanted to have a little piece of furniture below the TV so that the Wii, cablebox and home theater system could be stored. Similar to what the previous owners had here:

and similar to this (from Magnolia's website...sorry it is so small but it was all I could find)

Can anybody recommend a piece of furniture as well as a place to purchase it.

Sorry for all the questions but this is going to be a pretty big purchase and is the centerpiece to our living room. It is basically the first thing you will see when you come up the stairs and we would like for it to wow people. I am a n00b so please be gentle.

Thanks!!

· Registered
2,010 Posts
Another question: Do you wish to watch your cable TV through cableCARD, onboard free QAM tuner, or set top box?

Once you resolve the previously mentioned issue, unless you're really picky, all of the TVs you mentioned would be great. Just buy the cheapest one from a reputable store in case you get a lemon. Your budget might also allow the Sharp 52" available on Costco.com for a very good price...

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977 /forum/post/0

Another question: Do you wish to watch your cable TV through cableCARD, onboard free QAM tuner, or set top box?

Once you resolve the previously mentioned issue, unless you're really picky, all of the TVs you mentioned would be great. Just buy the cheapest one from a reputable store in case you get a lemon. Your budget might also allow the Sharp 52" available on Costco.com for a very good price...

not sure if you saw my other response to you as I re-posted the original with the pictures inside the thread. i had too many pics in it the 1st time - thats why i couldnt do it.

I watch cable through the cable box. I believe it is a Scientific Atlanta DVR. It is connected to the TV right now via a Monster 400 HDMI cable.

edit: wow that sharp from costco is really nice. that is about my budget tho...including the tv, installation and furniture.

· Registered
11,445 Posts
For best viewing results I would suggest mounting the TV so that your eye level is directly in the middle of the set when you are sitting in your viewing area. The TV in that picture looks to be too high up - Directly on is the best way to go with LCD's and DLP's.

I am having the same issues you are alk. I created a thread on Friday because I am trying to decide which 1080p LCD to purchase. The 1080p plasmas that are being released are way too expensive, and if possible I want a 1080p set to plan ahead for it becoming the new standard. I really like the Sony, but the clouding issue is holding me back from pulling the trigger. The JVC doesn't accept a direct 1080p signal, only 1080i, and the Samsung is very nice but is said to have the same clouding issues as the Sony, just not to the same extremes. I too have recently purchased a home so I know how you feel.

As a man going through the same turmoil and decision making process, my advice is to wait a few months to see what comes to the market. New TV's are being announced every day at CES (which is going on right now). I would guess we will see a lot of these 1080p sets hit the market by March/April. I don't know if you want to wait that long but I think I have decided to do just that.

Either way, let us know how it goes. If you pull the trigger on a Sony, do let us know if you experience the clouding issue. Good luck!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/0

For best viewing results I would suggest mounting the TV so that your eye level is directly in the middle of the set when you are sitting in your viewing area. The TV in that picture looks to be too high up - Directly on is the best way to go with LCD's and DLP's.

I am having the same issues you are alk. I created a thread on Friday because I am trying to decide which 1080p LCD to purchase. The 1080p plasmas that are being released are way too expensive, and if possible I want a 1080p set to plan ahead for it becoming the new standard. I really like the Sony, but the clouding issue is holding me back from pulling the trigger. The JVC doesn't accept a direct 1080p signal, only 1080i, and the Samsung is very nice but is said to have the same clouding issues as the Sony, just not to the same extremes. I too have recently purchased a home so I know how you feel.

As a man going through the same turmoil and decision making process, my advice is to wait a few months to see what comes to the market. New TV's are being announced every day at CES (which is going on right now). I would guess we will see a lot of these 1080p sets hit the market by March/April. I don't know if you want to wait that long but I think I have decided to do just that.

Either way, let us know how it goes. If you pull the trigger on a Sony, do let us know if you experience the clouding issue. Good luck!

hey buddy thanks for the reply. the tv that is mounted in the pic is from the previous owners. i currently have that big ol 30" sony tv with no furniture

i am going to be using my tax money so that probably wont come in till march-april or so....so ill just wait until then and hopefully something better comes along or those 1080p plasmas come down in price.

· Registered
11,445 Posts

Quote:

hey buddy thanks for the reply. the tv that is mounted in the pic is from the previous owners. i currently have that big ol 30" sony tv with no furniture

i am going to be using my tax money so that probably wont come in till march-april or so....so ill just wait until then and hopefully something better comes along or those 1080p plasmas come down in price.

Right on man. That's probably the best thing to do and will be what I do as well. Good luck to you!

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update

Here is the floorplan again

The room measures 13.5' feet (162"). That would be measuring from where the TV is to the longer couch.

The coffee table in the middle measures 50"w x 34"d x 17.75"h

The longer couch measures 82" x 36" x 36"h

The shorter couch measures 60" x 36" x 36"h

So from the wall to the front of the shorter couch would be approx 66" (5.5') and aprox 10.5' from the longer couch.

So taking that into consideration about 5.5' and 10.5' from the wall where the TV would be hung how large of a TV would you recommend?

· Registered
7,230 Posts
Wait - Consider the Sharp D92 based upon the feedback from CES 2007 will outdistance the current Sony crop in many areas - Blacks/Details in Shadows via CR/ of 15,000:1 and 120Hz speed, 3 HDMI, DVI-PC, dot-by-dot viewing of HD and the 5 wave backlight colors which my 57" has also - not trashing the Sony it's just around the corner within two weeks your looking at a panel that will leapfrog that Sony IMO.

I view a 57" Sharp from 8.5' and will be going to the D93 65" Sharp in a few months. Place a 52" up there if you can afford it. As to the Sony matchup with sound system and TV - that is meaningless they are digital devices and not proprietary the TV cannot make the sound any different than your AVR or at least the AVR doesn't give a hoot about the TV brand - an HDMI and/or digital coax or optical use is going to provide surround sound not the TV - the sound will be provided by your STB. The TV itself can only do stereo or fake surround sound your AVR fed by STB or other devices will provide that piece not the television otherwise your not truly going to have surround sound - having everything labelled Sony only = Brand Loyalty not compatability.

Here's a link to the new 2007 Sharp Catalog and they should start arriving within a week or so. The advances are significant in blacks/details and 120Hz. I like Sony but this Sharp has leapfrogged that Sony as the testimony from many members who viewed them in Vegas recently reported.

Go big as the screen will shrink within 10 days and 1080P affords closer viewing of larger sizes - I can go 70" at 8.5' with a 1:1 panel l;ike the Sharp as it does dot-by-dot. Take it from someone that owns a 57" LCD and a 45" - the uptick to the 57" versus 45" is significant and don't forget a Bluray or HD DVD - I have the latter and crystal clear WoW Vision that blows away regular progressive players and upconverts. Go for it! GO BIG! BTW I think your original post was just to detailed and long for people to respond to is probably why you had to bump it.

Happy Viewing!

http://media4.filewind.com/g.php?filepath=3205 Click the word DOWNLOAD on the left side of page and the new Brochure will come up and look at the D92 series - I recommend the 52" for your room based upon my own real life experience unless you have the funds for a 65"I have a 57" LCD and cannot wait to go 65".

· Registered
11,445 Posts

Quote:

Quick update

Here is the floorplan again

The room measures 13.5' feet (162"). That would be measuring from where the TV is to the longer couch.

The coffee table in the middle measures 50"w x 34"d x 17.75"h

The longer couch measures 82" x 36" x 36"h

The shorter couch measures 60" x 36" x 36"h

So from the wall to the front of the shorter couch would be approx 66" (5.5') and aprox 10.5' from the longer couch.

So taking that into consideration about 5.5' and 10.5' from the wall where the TV would be hung how large of a TV would you recommend?

I agree with Scooby - use that chart he provided. According to it, to take full advantage of the benefits of HD television the screen should be 54" to 80" diagonal(measuring from the longest couch which is 10.5' away). HD channels are broadcast in both 720p and 1080i which is why the screen should be between those sizes (54" for 720p and 80" for 1080i/p). However, SD should be watched from further back than HD, so if you do a lot of SD watching you may want to scale it down a little. It's not an easy choice, especially if you don't want DLP (best bang for buck but loses quality at different angles and heights other than directly on). Good luck with your choices...I am making the same decision you are, as is one of my friends. It's tough...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.