AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after many months of trying with W2K and no success, I finally have dual monitor support on my HTPC. I updraded to XP and it now works but with some problems.

What I need: My equipment rack is located outside the theatre. I need to be able to see what is going on at the equipment rack so I have a small monitor there. It want to connect through the DVI (via adapter) and use it as my primary monitor. I have a CRT projector that I am running hard wired BNCs from the hd15 output. When I run PowerDVD or DScaler, I want all the startup to occur on the small monitor, and the actual program output to go to the projector. IOW, I click the icon on the small monitor's desktop, adn the movie is playing on the CRT. Make sense?

Here are the problems:

I can connect the small monitor to HD15 and the CRT to the DVI (via an adater), and get two outputs. The CRT is green only and looks like an interlace picture. THe scan lines are very visible at any resolution. If I switch the 2 outputs (as I need) with the CRT on hd15 and the small monitor on DVI, I get no output to the monitor, but my picture is what it should be on the CRT proj.

In the display properties, both monitors show up either way they are connected. In the adv properties of the Catlyst 2.5 drivers, the main monitor is selectd, and it automatically selected the TV out (which I am not using) and it will not let me deselect it. The other two options...PFD and another, have a big red X on them. BTW, this is a Radeon VE/7000. Powerstrip also recognizes both outputs and is letting me change resolutions independently, but again, not with the outputs I need.

What do I need to do to tell the thing I am running the DVI out? Can anyone give me a hint?

Thansk!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I gave up on dual monitor support, through winxp or Nvidia Nview, and put a simple A/B switch between the VGA output and the two monitors. Works every time, and I can see no difference in PQ because of the switch.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Teeps. I could do that, but I don't want to have to change resolutions. I want my small monitor to run at 800x600 but I run my CRT at 1280x720 or 1440x960...the small monitor can't handle this.

Would I have the same problems if I added a second PCI video card? I don't care about the quality on the small monitor as it is for setup only. I only want optimal pic quality out of the Radeon hd15. I would have even used a small TV if I could have found one cheap enough (I only paid $20 for the small monitor) with an S input.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, after a bit more playing, it appears that the computer is treating the DVI out as S-video. [email protected][email protected] How and why? There is nothign in the S video port, but whenever I adjust the TV settings, the DVI connected CRT changes. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the one that came with the card. It has ATI printed on the side. It's probably 1 1/2" long, with a male DVI on on end and female hd15 on the other. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For those that have problems getting dual monitors to work with win2k. You have the change settings in the bios to use the PCI video card as the default. This is the only way I could get dual monitors to work, otherwise it would not display correctly when windows started. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same for XP? I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope. changed the bios and no difference. Darn. Thought it was going to be something simple.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Jay,

If I understand you correctly you want to use the small monitor as your primary display (windows desktop etc...) and the PJ only to display the video. What I do (with my monitor and TV) is use Video Mirror on my geforce and it mirrors overlay fullscreen on the secondary display. It's pretty much the same thing as DVDMax for a Matrox card and ATI cards have something called Theater Mode. It works great on my geforce I can do all the housekeeping on my monitor and the video just plays fullscreen on my TV. Maybe that will work for you.

Theater mode is in the overlay control panel of my Rage M1 in my laptop but I haven't played with it.

Chad

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep Chad. That's it! Except I need the PC to recognize and use 2 monitors. (Rather than a TV.) I found (OK, don't laugh) an old PCI video card. Manufactired in 1996. 4MB memory. I'm trying to find the drivers, but I'm going to see what happens using this to feed the small monitor, etc, etc....will let you guys know. Thanks for all the tips so far!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.