AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone on this forum is an EE, would this work:

When the projector is on, it draws significantly more power than when it's off or on standby. So, take a short extension cord, splice in a transformer, a 12V voltage regulator and a resistor to limit the current, and voila: a 12V trigger that's live when the projector is shooting and off when the projector is off. Seems like something along these lines could be built for $5-$10 in parts...

Of course I have a fixed screen, so this isn't something I really need for myself, but if someone wants to take a whack at really designing this, it could be fun.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Since I now have a DIY retractable screen and masking system in the living room, I wanted to control the screen with the trigger output of the PJ.

The 12V out from the trigger does not provide enough current for closing a relay.

Personally, I don't like wires, and I could have just ran a 2-conductor wire to my electronics that operates the motor for the screen. Instead, I send an IR blast from a box I designed that connects to the trigger output from the PJ.

So, when I hit the POWER button on the remote for the PJ, it powers up, sends a 12V signal to my box which in turn sends a IR packet to the screen telling it to lower. The screen has presets, and automatically stops at 16:9.

When done watching a movie, I hit the power button on the PJ remote, which starts the power down cycle for the PJ (lamp is off but fan is running). As soon as the fan quits, the 12V power from the trigger is removed, and I send another IR blast to the screen , telling it to retract. I have a limit switch at the top of it's travel, which shuts down the motor.

This is automatic, reliable, and wireless!

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.