AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. i am a HDTV newbie. I would like to get the HDTV set, was looking at the 61 inch Hitachi HDTV (ready moniter) The Sony also looked good.

Whats the Divas (the audiophiles will know this one) of big screen TV that are HDTV capable? Like i said i have 3500 and was looking at something larger than 55 inches diag.

Thanks. Appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theSSthatcould
Well. i am a HDTV newbie. I would like to get the HDTV set, was looking at the 61 inch Hitachi HDTV (ready moniter) The Sony also looked good.

Whats the Divas (the audiophiles will know this one) of big screen TV that are HDTV capable? Like i said i have 3500 and was looking at something larger than 55 inches diag.

Thanks. Appreciate your advice.
Larger than 55"? If you're willing to go for a bit more, my choice would be Mitsubishi's 2002 WS-65869 Integrated . I sold myself on the Mitsubishi's 2002 line in my posts here (I start extolling their virtues in the second paragraph); the Integrated sets have an ATSC tuner, copy-protected FireWire w/HAVi and Mitsubishi's "NetCommand" on-screen URC with IR repeaters for legacy equipment. Even if 1394/DTCP doesn't become the widely adopted copy-protection standard, EIA-775-A FireWire-based A/V interconnection and HAVi look promising, and these sets are ready to take full advantage of them.

You can get the 65" mid-tier Platinum Plus model for a bargain-basement price at the link I gave above, but it's a little more than your $3500 and with shipping it would be substantially more. If you can settle for a 55", they also have the lower-tier Platinum series WS-55859 , for a price that, with their usurious shipping charges, would come in at just a tad over your $3500.

Nothing's entirely future proof, of course, but these sets have features at the leading edge.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Ooops--just checked that WS-65869 price--it's gone up over $400 at that site since I wrote that first thread. With shipping to Houston, it's over $1000 over your budget (though still, with shipping, over $800 under the list price without tax or delivery). Probably not worth considering.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
180 Posts
kusamba,

This is a simple answer. Get the Mitsubishi ws-65809. Even ultimate electronics has it for around 3,100 (last time i checked) With a little bit of tweaking, it's hard to beat at twice its price. You can even turn off SVM through software, without having to go through the process of snipping wires on the guns or playing merlin on your set. If you shop around a bit, you will have 4-500 bucks left over to have it calibrated (possibly?) OR go get some divas ;)

my .02

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you have $3500 to spend, then you would want to buy a set that costs about $4500. None of us gets through this without spending at least $1000 more than we planned.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a Toshiba 65" (TW65X81 - the 2000 year model) and it is a fantastic TV. The current model is the 65H81 and it is available for $3499 but some internet sites have it for under $3000. I have the Dish 6023 package for HD satellite and OTA available list for $848 but reportedly available on the internet for approximately $400.

Good luck and happy viewing.

Rick R

·
Registered
226 Posts
You might want to consider a DLP or LCD projector. A model like the NEC LT150 or Infocus LP340 would fit into your budget. Both are HDTV compatible. They are also incredibly small and light and yet project a very large image. They also don't require as much calibration as a CRT-based rear projection unit.

Just something to consider....

Brett

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
If you are gonna watch any NTSC, then do not even consider the Sony. The DRC makes Directv unwatchable, for example.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have to second the vote for the Toshiba 65HX81. I recently got mine for $3,300 delivered. With some simple tweaking the picture is simply superb.

--Louis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Louis,

Have you had a chance to compare your TV to the 57hs81? Do you lose any brightness or is there significant quality loss on cable as with the big Sony.

I have a Sony 61hs30 and am sending it back. Partially because of their DRC which gets in the way and partially because of the 4:3. (OTA HDTV only uses part of screen and there is no zoom for both leterbox and pillars) Are there any negatives you can think of on your tv.

Bruce

·
Registered
267 Posts
Let me throw in a vote for another RPTV that has been overlooked, the 53" Pioneer SD-533 or 64" SD-643. The 64" should be within your budget, if it will fit in your space. I just received the SD-533 yesterday and I am in awe. :D

When I was doing my research I thought this set looked better than the Mits Diamond and Toshiba HX models. It does cost more than the 57HX81, but is less the the WS-55908. The build quality is better than the Tosh and IMO at least as good as the 55908, if not better. I also prefer the cabinet finish of the Pioneer. Another point is that lot of people (myself included) believe that the Pioneer has the best built-in line doubler available for under $4K. Unquestionably it blows away the LD in the Mits, although the Tosh comes close.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brucebem
Are there any negatives you can think of on your tv.

Bruce
Bruce,

Take a look at the Toshiba Forum on http://www.***************.com

There's an entire thread of 65HX81 reviews. They'll be more helpful than some off the cuff comments by me! :)

--Louis

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go with the Mitsubishi! If you plan on getting your set ISF'd then even better. You will have the best looking picture that you can get from any RPTV. I bought last years WS-65807 and had mine set up last month. The picture is fantastic.

For a second choice, I recommend the Pioneer. The Elite series may be out of your budget, but the standard line are still very nice.

The Toshiba, Sony, and Hitachi do not even compare to these sets when all are properly set up and compared IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jafo
The Toshiba, Sony, and Hitachi do not even compare to these sets when all are properly set up and compared IMO.
Sorry, I have to disagree. I spent quite a bit of time looking at these sets and I do think that depending on what kind of viewing you are doing you can get a picture that's just a good out of the Toshiba as the Mitsu. If you compare a Diamond (which is quite a few $s more) and the Toshiba on 1080i material, yes the Mitsu pic seems a little better (thought not enough for me to justify the $ difference). However, I think that the internal doubler on the Toshiba is superior to the Mitsu's an therefore on 480i material you end up with a better picture on the Toshiba.

--Louis

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the dude's budget. The 65" RCA HD65W20 includes the DTC-100 HDTV / DirecTV decoder - built in. $3000 for all of that. I'm not suggesting that the RCA is the best set in the world but for a guy that wants to have it all for less than $3500, I don't think you can beat it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kusamba, I have to agree w/ you on that. I bought the Scenium 65" RCA, and to be honest w/ you, it's helluva lot nice picture than the 65" PlatinumPlus Mits. AND everything built in. I got mine for $3100 after tax, out the door , delivered, installed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.