AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HTPC with the Hauppauge WinTV-FM card installed in it. I won't go into video configuration reasons why I need both composite and S-Video inputs, suffice it to say it would work better for my needs. The Hapaugge WinTV only has S-Video in.

Is there a good quality TV Tuner (don't need FM radio or HDTV) that will work and also has the remote control like the Hauppauge? I will be playing it through DScaler.

HTPC:

ATI AGP 64mb

M-Audio 24/96 audiofile

1 Mhz PIII Coppermine

Projector:

JVC G11

[This message has been edited by anderdea (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading through the posts, I saw that a fair amount of people are using and happy with the Cybertainment Capture card with the BT879 chip. This card (I believe it's the CyberMail AV PCI Video Capture Card) has an S-Video in and two Composite inputs and seems to work well with DScaler.

Does anyone know if I could use DScaler (vsn 2.1.2) and have it recognize both my Hauppauge TV Tuner card and the Cybertainment capture card?

NEWBIE question here. I noticed in the Cybertainment discussion threads that if using DScaler it was suggested that you DON'T install the CyberMail Capture card software and drivers. How do you initially find the capture card on the HTPC to initiate it with no software installed?

Don

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mcmillan,

I have that card in my Dell (non HTPC) and it works OK but I am at present having real problems with the "media center" software. It freezes up and crashes the computer when I try to access it. I have removed and reinstalled the software a couple of times to no avail. Must have a major conflict somewhere. Also if I am going to replace the tuner card, I'd prefer one that has remote control capabilities, the ATI doesn't.

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just ordered my Cybertainment card yesterday, for $14.50. I am going to use it with DScaler under W2K. I will report the result if you are interested.

-Isaac

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be interested in your evaluation of the video card. I am using 98ME in my new AVS HTPC. Also I would like to know if DScaler will detect both the Hauppauge TV Tuner card and the CyberMedia capture card.

Don

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got my card yesterday, and tried it with dScaler 2.3 under W2K.

First, the setup. I didn't use the CD that came with the card, since I don't need any of the video e-mail software. I downloaded the driver for W2K from computergeeks' driver area, and that's the only thing I need to install. Select Conexant bt878 and Philips NTSC as the turner in dScaler and I get all 2 composite inputs and s-video working. Can't be easier than this.

The video quality: Looks like this card has less noise than my old WinTV. With the dScaler noise filter on, I can hardly see these annoying random lines. This alone makes this card a keeper. One thing I noticed though, I had to turn the contrast level quite high and brightness low within dScaler to get good black. Using YXY, I put the 4x3 image right in the center of my 92" wide 16x9 Da-Lite screen. Overall, dScaler and this **$15** card worked like a charm.

-Isaac

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the Cybermail card running on my PC (1.3GHz AMD Thunderbird / Epox MB / 256MB DDR memory / Radeon LE / Win98SE) and I get lots of noise on all 3 inputs. I get a much better picture routing laserdisc via s-video directly into my projector (VT540) vs running it through the Cybermail via DScaler. In addition I have a case of vertical noise bars when I use the s-video input -- which others have mentioned.

DVD's played on WinDVD are extremely clear, as are other PC applications.

I would be very grateful for any advice on getting a usable picture. It was very frustrating for me to buy what I thought was "the right stuff" & then get such bad results.

Thanks and regards

BB80301

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isaac,

It sounded like it was a real easy and rewarding install. (not always the case when it comes to PC's running Windows) I'm running 98ME and hadn't planned on installing the drivers when I get my card. Based on a real interesting thread on the problems people were having getting this card to work, the general consensus was not to install any software or drivers.

Also, I just started looking at yxy on my new HTPC. I was under the impression that this software was used just for manipulating DVD locations etc. I wasn't aware it could be used to position a DScaler image. Will have to look into this. I am also running dTV 2.1.2 and may install DScaler 2.3 to use with the cybertaiment card.

Thanks for the update, Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.