Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I recently bought a house and with all the extra space, I am now looking into creating a dedicated home theater room. I've got the audio stuff taken care of for now, but I am seriously lacking in the video department as I have never had anything larger than a 27" TV. Rather than going just a step up, I would like to make the leap to a huge screen for movies and just keep the 27" downstairs for normal cable viewing.

There are a couple reasons I am looking to find out whether CRT would work in my situation:

My work is directly related to the image quality of photos from inkjet printers - I spend a large portion of my day looking for defects and afterward see them all the time and have to battle to say it's "good enough." I don't want to get a system up and running only to see it's faults instead of the movie. I realize that all systems have compromises in this area, but it's my impression that CRT compromises more in the size and maintenance areas and less in the image quality.

Price for performance. I am willing to spend what it takes to get a system that will have me satisfied for at least the next few years, but I don't have an unlimited budget and in my price range I think the edge definitely goes to CRT right now. This of course leads to what my price range is - lets say for now that it's around 2k, there is some squishiness there and I will be willing to spend more if there is a _significant_ improvement in quality or features, but obviously the less I spend on this the more on other components or movies.

The room I have to work with is approx. 148"W x 187"L with a vaulted ceiling. Attached is a wire frame of the room with major dimensions. The fact that it's a vaulted ceiling leads me to think it would be a major pain to try and ceiling mount it. Would the "plant shelf" near the high end of the vault be any use here? I've read that some people have built coffee tables around their floor mounted projectors - does the throw distance allow this to be in a normal coffee table position?

For that matter which end would be best for the screen? The extra large wall could make it look impressive, but their are double doors directly below the center of that shelf, so I would have to either have a pull down screen or offset a stationary screen so people could get in. The opposite wall perhaps wouldn't look as impressive with the lights on, but I could mount a permanent screen directly to it and the openness of the view position might lead to better surround sound?

Other miscellaneous questions:

Noise - I have read some posts that CRTs range in noise from silent (DWin HD700) to a B-52 during take-off (Sony 12xx something?). I imagine projector location can play a role in this - does building it into a coffee table exacerbate this?

Burn in - this is something that the digital projectors definitely have going for them. I don't play video games, so that's not an issue, but if I happen to watch a broadcast with a station bug in the corner, how fast does burn in typically happen? Is this an issue if I am usually watching stuff without a bug?

Servicibility - I live by myself, and these things can get pretty hefty. I can lug around a standard 27" TV (not the super heavy Wegas), but that's about my limit as far as weight and girth goes. Once in place, is there usually any reason to move the projector?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go on, but this has gotten extremely long. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thank you

Vanessa

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
For your room dimensions you'd likely not want a really big picture, so say 80x45" would be plenty bright with a PJ in your $2k price range. Of course I biased but I cant even look at DLP or LCD after owning a CRT (Sony1270). If you are really picky about picture quality then I believe CRT is the only way to go. Keep in mind that if you're really picky about image quality, any inaccuracy in convergence will drive you nuts. Learning to set these beasts up is a long term process. If you want the best image quality seriously considering getting it ISF'd, about $300-600 I believe.

In your price range the Sony 12xx (not 1292) and Barco 800's will give you very good image quality per $. These are also 2 of the most popular PJ's so knowledge and parts are abundant, especially here.

A Sony 12xx with good fans and in a hush box is almost inaudible when ceiling mounted.

If you plan to watch alot of TV on it, burning your tubes can be an issue. Most use CRT's for DVD about 90%+.

Hope I helped a bit.

Wes

·
Registered
596 Posts
Vanessa, you have a private email...

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I wuz gonna say, go to Monroe and check out Drew's projectors, or come a bit further to Vancouver, Canada and check out the sets that I have.

Curt

·
Registered
42 Posts
We were using a 27-inch TV for the longest time, then decided the picture was too small, so upgraded to a 36-inch. But you know what, it was hardly any different - picture was still too small, especially playing DVDs. So I bought a NEC 6PG CRT projector from Curt, so now have a 120-inch diag screen, and now I'm happy. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

To get this screen size for $2K, a CRT pj is the only way to go. However be prepared to spend hours setting the picture, initially. Or you could get someone to do it, but it has to be tweeked every few weeks, so its best to learn how to do it yourself. Then you need a nice progressive scan source, but thats another story.

The room is fine. The shelf at the back is too high though, so you'd have to ceiling mount at the thin end of the wedge end. Or maybe coffe table mount, but you want to be sitting at the same location as the pj, so the screen size might be a bit small then. Also need to be able to completely darken the room. Dark walls and carpet are best as well.

Fan noise is a little annoying on quiet movies, although a hush box could be considered. I also have a buzz in mine that gets excited with loud bass at certain frequencies (need to find where thats comong from).

Cheers,

Keith

·
Registered
380 Posts
A CRT is possible, if you are willing to do what it takes. The worst part is deciding that you want to buy and what. Then comes the easy part of learning to know this thing. It is difficult at times, but well worth the effort.

After a while you become the projector salesman nightmare. You know a lot more than them.

It is fun I can assure you.

Can't answer you if have enough throw.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help.

I have a few more questions though...

On the location/mounting stuff - I don't have access above the vaulted ceiling - this makes me think it could be a difficult mounting situation. On a related note, below that shelf on the large end of the room, there is about 18" give or take from the underside of the shelf to the top of a pair of double doors. Could a projector be mounted right in there? In that location the shelf is only about 6-8" thick so I would think the mount could go right through and attach on the top of the shelf. It's kind of constrained on vertical height, but it would be a nice flat area to mount to - right about the height of a regular ceiling...

Thanks again

Vanessa

·
Registered
22 Posts
Go to this link and click on "version 1.8". Then download the program pjcalc. Enter the size screen you would like and it will give you a diagram for the "optimum" projector location. Optimum meaning not written in stone but a good suggestion. This will probably give you the best idea of what your limitations may be.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/mediaroom/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mounting under your shelf is close to being viable. It might still be a tad high and a bit too far back. As a rule of thumb, the CRTs should be level with the top of the screen and the distance from the front of the CRTs should be about 1.5 times the screen width. With a 100 inch or so screen width, the front of the pj would need to be 150 inches back. If your buying a screen, then bringing it forward to match the pj's characteristics is possible. Projecting onto the drywall would likely mean the pj has to come forward. You could extend the tunnel in from the double doors, I guess.

Remember that these beasts weigh in at 150lbs and are 30in long, 24 inches wide and 16 or so inches high. My wife had a few expletives to say when she first saw it on the roof of the finished basement, I can tell you !

The pj throw characteristics vary from model to model, so Tom Sims link will be worth checking out.

Cheers,

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.