AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change the current layout of my Living room to be more of a entertaining area. The size of the room is 22 x 25. I'd like to mount my T.V up on my mantle over my fireplace*we never use the fireplace*. However my ceiling is only 8 foot in this room. I have 2 fans in this room and one is rather close to the fireplace. From my perspective it seems as if I'd be looking through the fan blades at the T.V. if I mounted it there. On each side of the fireplace is outlets for both power and cable. Any suggestions? I'd also Like to add a Surround Sound System to this room also.

BTW the fireplace is in the center of the southwall along the 22 foot section...

Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone. Just looking for some advice or pointers.

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
For one thing, you could get rid of a fan, maybe put one in the middle of the room.

Any chance you have surround speaker wiring in place, that you don't know about?

Do you have attic above this room, or crawlspace below?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no wiring in place for the surround sound. And I have the complete attic above this room.

My wife will not let me move the fan. It sits on a medallion that matches the other one.

Just trying to get a few ideas! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Well, you could remove the fan, AND the medallion.

With attic above, you can probably figure out how to run the cables, if you have the time and patience.

If you want it done soon, and well, then call a pro installer with references.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just have to put in my $.02. I have to recommend that you find another location besides over the fireplace. That placement always places the screen way above what anyone would consider an ideal viewing angle. You may also find it easier to work around the fan issue. I know that seating is often oriented around the fireplace, which is often a focal point of a room. I just have never seen that arrangement work well. It's my $.02 and its just an opinion from a stranger who doesn't know all the extraneous issues that could be playing into your choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Good point. That will be the first thing the pro would suggest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.