AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 50inch panasonic plasma (50px500u), and i need a HTIB to go with it. I say "cheap", only because i live in a co-op building, and I cant really make it too loud, so i dont see the point in paying so much. I know thre are 100 posts on the subject, i've read them all. I already have a dvd player, panasonic s77, so i wont need that. Dont really need a strong subwoofer, the lady that lives under me would love that. Honestly I want something that looks good more then sounds good, i like the looks of the front speakers on the Panasonic Home Theater System (SC-HT15) at CC, anybody have this? Im willing to spend up to about 500, but like i said I think anything over that would be overkill for my needs. I would also like wireless, I dont want to have to run wires to the rear. I know i will loose quality, but i think peoples definition of quality and mine will differ, especially at lower volumes. Also need am/fm. Thanks for ANY feedback.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
wireless speakers are garbage...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt
A wireless HTIB without the DVD player? Pretty tall order, but a Google of “wireless home theater†found this. Other hits came up as well, you might want to check them out.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...600review2.php

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Just don't use the microwave or answer the phone :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
Just don't use the microwave or answer the phone :D
Hehehe

·
Registered
520 Posts
The other day I saw a wireless (rear speakers) HTIB at Walmart. I dont remember the brand but you might want to check it out. I hate the look of wires running up the wall. I wish more manufacturers made wireless rear speakers.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The audio elitists smell blood.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith
The audio elitists smell blood.
yea i realised it wasnt going to be a popular choice. After reading the plasma forum for the past year then purchasing, one thing i learned here is that when people on here say "wireless speakers are pure GARBAGE", it really means they can be great, but to somebody who spends 10k on speakers they are garbage. People here are verrrry picky, and i dont think i need to be that picky on speakers when I am not planning on playing it that loud in the first place.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Dude you cant run HT mains in that pricerange without the subwoofer. They are not designed for that, and will sound like crap.

On the other hand, your TV's built in speakers were designed to be used without a subwoofer, so they will do fine.

I recommend Paradigm Atoms. They cost around 200, and can be used without a subwoofer. They happen to just sound AWESOME as well. The downside is, they look like real speakers.

I have never owned a Paradigm product, and i dont work for them, so im fairly unbiased in regards to them.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdothat88
yea i realised it wasnt going to be a popular choice. After reading the plasma forum for the past year then purchasing, one thing i learned here is that when people on here say "wireless speakers are pure GARBAGE", it really means they can be great, but to somebody who spends 10k on speakers they are garbage. People here are verrrry picky, and i dont think i need to be that picky on speakers when I am not planning on playing it that loud in the first place.
no, they can't be great, if you do a little research on them you'll find out why. they get interference from everything, from microwaves to wireless phones, no matter how you mount them...

and i spent less than $400 on my Athena speakers, and whether i spend $400 or $10,000 on my speakers, that doesn't change the fact that wireless speakers are horrible and should ONLY be used for very good reason. for example, if you have small children or pets in the same room, and are worried about the wires...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Five One Six is right, its just a bad choice. Take out all your mobile phones, take out your wireless router, dont use your micro, hell dont use your garage door opener lol. If your worried about wires just run em in-wall sure its PITA but the end result looks great.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
If aesthetics are more important than form, and you don't want to run wires to rear speakers - you may want to look at the "virtual" systems. They range in price from $200 to $1500. There are a couple on the high end that scream to be paired with a big plasma (The KEF, the Yamaha). I just ordered one of the lower end systems, and will review it next week when I get back from a business trip.

A proper, wired 5.1 system will out perform these. I am not sure whether the virtual solutions are better than the wireless solutions. Its trading trickery vs. possible interference. Here is a list I have been maintaining while I was trying to find something:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5340289

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just curious, how many people have actually USED wireless,and know that it sucks, or is everybody just talking about what they have read.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.