AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ,

i am rearenging my ht room and would need some advice regarding anamorphic lens and screen .

first , my projector is jvc hd750 . i was almost determined to order either 110" stewart studiotek 130G3 flat or 103" stewart studiotek 130 G3 curved screen . my choice for the lens was ISCO IIIL with cineslide . but after some reading in the 2.35 section of avs forum i found this prismasonic company , which offers lenses and screens at much better prices ( specially for us , european customers , as there is less shipping costs involved and no custom fees to be paid ) . but here is my dilema :

- how prismasonic HD-5000R lens compares to ISCO lens in terms of picture quality ? does ISCO lens produce so much better image then the HD-5000R that one can justify almost 70% more to pay for ISCO ?

- does anybody how any experiance with prismasonic curved screens ? again , their screen with matt white material ( 1.0 gain ) compared to stewart screen of the same size ( 110 inches ) is well over 2 times cheaper than stewart .

so i would like your advice : to go with ISCO nd stewart or to compromise ( or not ? ) and go with prismasonic ? or a combo ( prismasonic lens and stewart screen ) .

TIA for any advice given ,

grega

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm also looking for an anamorphic lens, after just recently upgrading to a cinemascope screen in my theater (currently using the zoom method). I was looking at both the Isco and HD-5000 lenses. With the recent dramatic price reduction for the Prismasonic lens I naturally started to give that lens more consideration. From what I've read, the Prismasonic with it's corrective elements for focus and CA, is close to the performance of the Isco III. But, I think the Isco has a significant advantage over the HD-5000 in that it has continuous astigmatism focus, which allows greater placement flexibility and greater projector compatability. In addition, the Isco has a much larger aperature allowing it to be used with just about any projector. A nice feature if you ever change to a projector with a recessed lens. Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I can chime in here.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Last summer when I was looking at lenses, I had first focused on the Prismasonic. At the time, it was about $5K with the exchange rates. I was looking at going to a Sim2 projector down the line, and was told that the Prismasonic would likely be a problem. I settled on the Panamorph. I think the new Prismasonic and Panamorph lenses are getting pretty close to the quality of the ISCO. Now that I am pretty close to getting the new Sim2, I am thinking about going to the ISCO, if I can sell my Panamorph setup. I would not be too upset about sticking with the Panamorph. With the new pricing on the Prismasonics, seems like a no-brainer if it works for your projector setup.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,748 Posts
pavlin, I can probably drop ship the lens from Germany if that helps. I don't know that shipping woudl be much less but perhaps you know how UPS rates work over there. CineSlide still has to come from here unless you want the IscoScope variant drop shipped (may cost more).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what about the screen , is the curved screen a must with the anamorphic lens or would flat screen be better ? and just to clarify , i can place my pj and lens anwhere in the room and i can use a ceilling miunting or table mount setup . i dont understand how the curved screen will give me the same focus at the center and at the sides of the screen ?

any suggestion would be appriciated ,

grega

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
There are four players in the lens market. Isco, Schneider, Panamorph and Prismasonic.

I personally own the Prismasonic and I think it does a wonderful job. What I like about it is that it allows you to keep the lens on all the time and it has a a feature that shifts the lens inside so you can use it with 2.35 and non 2.35 material. I have seen the Panamorph in action it it equally has a great image. although it must be moved out of the way when not using 2.35 material. Panamorph has their own system for moving the lens in and out and it does a great job. Other people have created their own DIY manual system that works very well. I have never seen the Isco III or the Schneider but from what I have been told, they are probably the best in terms of quality but they are also the priciest of the lenses so the additional quality may or may not be worth it to you. For sure the Isco has to be move like the Panamorph and I would assume the same for the Schneider but I have never seen one so I dont know. At this point, you can go wrong with either of them, it just depends on your budget and setup

·
Registered
287 Posts
Since I had the Schneider with its mechanical arm I can tell you that it is sleek but only works with a 12V trigger so beware. I finally returned the Schneider because given its small aperture it worked worse with my projector (Infocus IN83) than the Prismsonic 5000R I already own (which is also problematic with the IN83 unless you improvise). I also did not notice any perceivable improvement in picture quality either.

If I was you I would go either with the Prismsonic or the ISCO III. The price of the Schneider with its small aperture do not go well in my mind given that it might not work with your next projector.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/15763975

There are four players in the lens market. Isco, Schneider, Panamorph and Prismasonic.

How about the Aussiemorphic Mark III lens from CAVX... :)

Larry

·
Registered
167 Posts
α ρε jargonr

guys i am going for the htb lens.

why would any of you even if you donnot think of the cost spend that much money on sth that is just a bit better than htb or Aussiemorphic Mark III ?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also went with htb,and couldn't be happier.Awesome picture I'm getting,mine is mounted table top,from behind.A little tweaking with moving lense,projector,focus etc.And wow what a great picture.I really wanted to have scope set-up for a long time but,just couldn't afford it,until I found the htb lense,and even then I thought how would it perform for the price.Well that thought was gone as soon as I fired up system with lense in place.I really was blown away by what I saw,and still am everytime I watch a movie,and for the price just awesome.Also great build quality,heavy duty great looking.Great product. Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlin /forum/post/15578305

hello ,

i am rearenging my ht room and would need some advice regarding anamorphic lens and screen .

first , my projector is jvc hd750 . i was almost determined to order either 110" stewart studiotek 130G3 flat or 103" stewart studiotek 130 G3 curved screen . my choice for the lens was ISCO IIIL with cineslide . but after some reading in the 2.35 section of avs forum i found this prismasonic company , which offers lenses and screens at much better prices ( specially for us , european customers , as there is less shipping costs involved and no custom fees to be paid ) . but here is my dilema :

- how prismasonic HD-5000R lens compares to ISCO lens in terms of picture quality ? does ISCO lens produce so much better image then the HD-5000R that one can justify almost 70% more to pay for ISCO ?

- does anybody how any experiance with prismasonic curved screens ? again , their screen with matt white material ( 1.0 gain ) compared to stewart screen of the same size ( 110 inches ) is well over 2 times cheaper than stewart .

so i would like your advice : to go with ISCO nd stewart or to compromise ( or not ? ) and go with prismasonic ? or a combo ( prismasonic lens and stewart screen ) .

TIA for any advice given ,

grega

The Prismasonic lens is excellent and does not need to be removed from the projector when projecting 1.85:1 movies. Simply close the prisms and set projector in widescreen mode. The image quality is outstanding, no aberrations at all. Is super sharp and seems there is no lens in front of the projector

Also their screens are a great value and come out perfect, with the proper curvature and easy to assemble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts