AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having issues watching HD content (via HD Homerun) on my older Sanyo tv. The desktop is connected to the tv via s-video. I can view the SD channels in QuickTV, but they mostly don't play at all in windows media center, or they start to play and then freeze up. I know it is not HDTV, but the content is being recorded that way for my plasma down stairs.

Is the video card killing me here? It is an old Radeon X300. I have the catalyst drivers downloaded from ATI, and the shark codec pack. None of it seems to help. I have a little netbook with built in graphics, it plays everything just fine using the same wireless N connection.

dimension 5150

Processor : Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz

Memory (RAM) : 3gb

Hard Drive 1 : 300GB

ATI Radeon X300 64MB Full Height PCI Express Video Card

Sound Card : Integrated Sound Card

Operating System : Win 7

Wireless N Dongle - constant 150-170MBS (Pretty Good)

TV Tuner: HD HomeRun

Using Win Media Center

Monitor - Old 200 pound TV hooked via s-video

Any advice would be welcome. If I upgrade the video card, then it would need to have s-video if I am to use my tv.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to be impatient, but I need to get a plan of attack for this, and don't want to waste money on a new video card if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wondering if anyone has one of these:

BFG Tech BFGR73256GSOCE GeForce 7300GS 512MB(256MB on board) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
The 7300GS is a rather low powered gfx card by today’s standards and is about 3 or 4 generations outdated. It may offer some improvement over the X300 you have today, but it does not offer significant increases.

For broadcast TV (at least the channels that are broadcast in 1080i) it does not support hardware based deinterlacing nor does it support hardware based inverse telecine. Both of these could cause problems with TV broadcast playback. 720p should be fine

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/...Comparison.pdf

Personally I have a 7600GT in my older HTPC, which I consider the minimum for good playback of broadcast HD. However, it still isn’t enough to allow for playback of blurays on the older system.

Were I in your shoes, I would pay the extra $15 to get a more advanced gfx card.

-Suntan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have this card tomorrow, if it does not work I will eat the restock fee and upgrade. I am still little unclear on what would fit in there (comparing X16 with X16 2.0)

Thanks again,

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/18314467

The 7300GS is a rather low powered gfx card by today's standards and is about 3 or 4 generations outdated. It may offer some improvement over the X300 you have today, but it does not offer significant increases.

For broadcast TV (at least the channels that are broadcast in 1080i) it does not support hardware based deinterlacing nor does it support hardware based inverse telecine. Both of these could cause problems with TV broadcast playback. 720p should be fine

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/...Comparison.pdf

Personally I have a 7600GT in my older HTPC, which I consider the minimum for good playback of broadcast HD. However, it still isn't enough to allow for playback of blurays on the older system.

Were I in your shoes, I would pay the extra $15 to get a more advanced gfx card.

-Suntan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an FYI, this cheap card worked fine for my needs.

When I eventually add an LCD upstairs I will probably upgrade, but for $20 or so this was just fine.

Plays live and recorded content without a hitch, loving the HDHomerun.

Jack

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
It's interesting that the Radeon X300 had problems playing HD. I'm using an Intel D945GCLF2 (Intel GMA 950+Atom 330 w/built-in S-Video) as a "converter box" for our old CRT and it works just fine.

Anyway, glad you've solved your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts