AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a VT25 2 weeks ago. I recently started experiencing an issue. I've been reading about the floating blacks and am wondering if that's what I have. I'll try to describe my problem as accurately as I can. Any thoughts on whether I'm just another floating blacks sufferer or whether I need to exchange my set before the return period expires are GREATLY appreciated.

FYI - My brightness and contrast are turned down to 50-60.

So here's what I'm experiencing:

Whenever the picture content on my set is bright (especially if a lot of white content is shown), the whole picture gets discernibly lighter. It looks as if the backlight brightness is fluctuating in response to the relative brightness of the picture. When I open the comcast guide, which in turn fills the screen with a relatively bright tv listing grid, I consistently notice this fluctuation. Shows like Around the Horn with a white title card also make this phenomenon particularly noticeable.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
398 Posts
This doesn't sound like "floating blacks" to me either. First, you're describing issues when watching Comcast cable. How does it look when you watch a DVD or Blu-ray? Have you tried over-the-air TV?

One of the first things that impressed me about my G25 was it's ability to display a white screen accurately, without darkening (or lightening) and with excellent colors.

The other thing that catches my attention, is that while some folks who own the VT model have mentioned seeing "floating blacks", it's generally been to a much lesser degree than the G series.

So, I'd try watching some over-the-air TV and DVDs and see if you still notice the fluctuating whites. My guess is that it's either something to do with your cable system, or a defective or mis adjusted TV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it may have something to do with the cable box after all as I didn't notice this on Blu-Ray. I think the combination of AGC and a crappy signal from comcast has something to do with it. I'll keep a vigilant eye for the next few weeks to see if other sources exhibit this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts