AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first set up that I plan to invest a decent amount of money to get the right sound. I've never owned tower speakers nor have I had the pleasure of hearing bookshelf speakers. This set up will be mainly for music and entertaining, I do watch movies but the volume would be cut 5 minutes in thanks to the wifey. I've visited magnolia at best buy and heard brands such as def tech n energy (towers only), but left with a disappointed feeling with the way they sounded for such an expensive speaker. Fry's was next, and I actually enjoyed the RF series, but after search upon search I found there are other speakers that blow the RF series away.

These speakers will be placed in the family room with a 10ft ceiling. The room itself flows into the kitchen with a square foot total of around 600 sqft. My music selection is wide, though country never makes it onto the play list. Being a car guy, the system I have consists of clear, crisp mids and highs, while the bass, not ground shaking, hits clean and deep. I'd like to get either a nice pair of bookshelf speakers or towers, that will provide clean highs, while the bass will come most likely from a SVS sub. Out of the options below, which one will provide clean, crisp sound while not dying out or sounding cheap if the volume gets turned up:

Focal chorus 717v

Klipsch rf-62's

Emp tech 55's

Ascend acoustic 340's

Note: if I could demo the focal, Emp tech or ascends I would, unfortunately there is no store around that supplies them.

Sub and receiver are already taken cared of. And since this won't be for home theater, I'm not looking to purchase a center.

Budget: up to 1,500 for the pair

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
So if I understand this right...you're only getting the pair of speakers for $1500 total? If that's the case, the most talked about speakers in that price range are probably the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's and the KEF LS50...for bookshelves that is. Since you have a sub then put your money in bookshelves to get the most bang for your buck.

Other speakers that people really like are the Goldenear Triton 7 towers but they are a tad more than $1500 for the pair.

There's a lot of options but since you like loud, those EMP Tech's have the lowest efficiency so they'll take the most power to really get loud.

What SVS sub are you using and what AVR too?

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts