AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an attic installation and to gain a little insight I did some general research here but also used Solid Signals Antenna Help Request service.

They suggested I use a Winegard HD4400. Is there any advantage to going to the next model up (the Winegard HD8800 at more than double the price)? Does higher gain help compensate for loss of signal strength due to attic installation?

I was going to hang it from a mast and didn't plan on using a pre-amp unless someone thinks it is necessary.

Here's my info from tvfool.com if that's helpful:

·
Registered
729 Posts
From your antenna query results it looks like a simple set-top antenna (rabbit ears) could very well work for you. Supposedly anything over roughly -70dBm (-60dBm, -50dBm, etc.,) should be receivable by an indoor antenna. If you simply want the antenna out of sight you could run coax to the attic and place the rabbit ears there. A DB2 or CM4221 would be the biggest antenna that I would think you'd want to install in the attic.

Seriously, try a set of rabbit ears before you go to much trouble with a bigger antenna.

Don't go too big...you could end up overloading your receiver and degrading your reception. Too much signal can be just as bad as too little signal. You are in a strong signal area.

Best wishes,

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee2 /forum/post/12917217

I'm doing an attic installation and to gain a little insight I did some general research here but also used Solid Signals Antenna Help Request service.

They suggested I use a Winegard HD4400. Is there any advantage to going to the next model up (the Winegard HD8800 at more than double the price)? Does higher gain help compensate for loss of signal strength due to attic installation?

I was going to hang it from a mast and didn't plan on using a pre-amp unless someone thinks it is necessary.

Here's my info from tvfool.com if that's helpful:

·
Registered
107 Posts
My two bits worth:

You're so close to the XMTRs that the loss thru the roof may not have that much impact. I have the PR4400 (predecessor to the HD4400) mounted outdoors and am very pleased with transmitters located about 21 miles, clear LOS. I don't think there's any difference between the two. I only paid $21 for mine, not much more than you'd pay for rabbit ears and the 4400 is more attractive. Be advised that the 4400 is a directional antenna and your chart sort of indicates you may be more suited to an omnidirectional antenna (picks up from all directions without having to move the antenna). Omnis do have lower gain that the directional antennas, though.

I didn't want to mess with looking at rabbit ears indoors, you know, not too pretty sitting atop my 42" Plasma set.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm of the same mindset. I'd prefer to have the antenna out of sight and would rather set and forget it.

Perhaps an omindirectional is in order but most if not all of the channels I'm interested in getting are clustered together in the southwest. I'll take a look at what's available. Do you have any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy /forum/post/12922005

My two bits worth:

You're so close to the XMTRs that the loss thru the roof may not have that much impact. I have the PR4400 (predecessor to the HD4400) mounted outdoors and am very pleased with transmitters located about 21 miles, clear LOS. I don't think there's any difference between the two. I only paid $21 for mine, not much more than you'd pay for rabbit ears and the 4400 is more attractive. Be advised that the 4400 is a directional antenna and your chart sort of indicates you may be more suited to an omnidirectional antenna (picks up from all directions without having to move the antenna). Omnis do have lower gain that the directional antennas, though.

I didn't want to mess with looking at rabbit ears indoors, you know, not too pretty sitting atop my 42" Plasma set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts